SWIMBO at CRIMBO

SWMBO wants an MP3 player. Not looking for anything other than an MP3 player, ie wifi not required.

The ipod Nano (7th) ticks that box.

I'm guessing it doesn't offer drag and drop from experience of other apple products.

So what I'm asking is, how would I get MP3s on to it that are not bought from iTunes. ie., converted from CDs etc.

mark

Reply to
mark

You can import things into iTunes either as MP3s or by burning to MP3 within iTunes. Easy-peasy - job done.

Reply to
GMM

I use a Sansa Fuze; it has a config setting which allows one to set whether, when its USB cable is connected to a computer, it appears to the computer just as a disk drive, or some other thing I've never explored.

I plug it in, see the folders etc, copy files, and dismount (ie 'safely remove') it. It sees its been disconnected from the computer and that something has changed and takes a minute or so to rebuild its index. And that's that.

I think lots of MP3 players do this sort of thing... provided they are not Apple ones. You need to read reviews of them on eg Amazon, as other people will mention how this is done.

I have never in my life used iTunes. I collect mp3s from various podcasts (subscribed to using a Windows program named Juice), and radio programmes from the BBC (using the Windows version of get_iplayer - which is mainly known as a Linux app but works on Windows too), and by ripping CDs (using Windows Media Player), and sometimes I even buy them from Amazon.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

If you've already ripped them, just add the files to the iTunes library on your PC or Mac. Otherwise, iTunes will rip them for you.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

As you would expect, the world according to apple revolves around itunes. If you add you tracks to that first, it should be able to sync them with the ipod.

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite. So if you're not on an Apple or Microsoft box you're out in the cold.

Or perhaps not. For my antique ipod Nano I used:

to convert the CDs to MP3 files. And then used:

to put the MP3 files on my ipod.

Both grip and gtkpod should be available for most Unix distributions.

Reply to
Dennis Davis