Suspending mirror from ceiling

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror from the wooden ceiling, so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable? Has anyone ever seen this done?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Only in hotels where you pay by the hour, but then the mirror is normally larger than a bathroom sized one......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why would you want to hang it from the ceiling, of all places? or are you kinky.

Reply to
ben

It would work if you also anchor it to the floor. If you're worried about drilling the tiles (why?) you could always stick the mirror on with silicone sealant - then if you want to remove it a knife and silicone sealant remover would do the job. Or use a plastic mirror and that double-sided sticky foam strip stuff.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yeah right, you're just a lazy so-and-so who wants to shave lying down in the bath.

I think I'd use plastic mirror or heatshrink mirror film. If a bath-sized glass mirror descended from the ceiling unexpectedly, seven years' bad luck might not be the most immediate of your worries.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've often wondered what goes on in that sort of establishment.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think the OP suggests hanging the mirror vertically from the ceiling rather than fixing it flat on the ceiling :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That's not so much fun.

Cable display system as used in estate agents offices then.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I know. It was just too tempting an opportunity to pass up.

In fact I have seen a mirror suspended vertically on wires and it does look quite effective. The only problem is that if you touch the thing, it will swing around for ages.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If done right, maybe not. If you suspend from two wires, it's going to swing like hell. Attach to four wires, two on each top corner, with a decent angle between them, and it can almost only swing back and forward from the front. Add a fifth wire, to the bottom, and a weight on the back to ensure this stays in tension, and it should be almost still. On the downside, it now looks like a chrome spider has been let loose in the bathroom.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Wow - you need a shot of imagination ;o)

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

(1) Because the wall is tiled from floor to ceiling. It's been done (by a tiler, not me) exceptionally well, and I'd prefer not to "spoil" it by drilling.

On the other hand, the light/plastic mirrors I've seen are all rather tacky, IMHO.

However, the responses here have convinced me that suspension may not be a good idea.

(2) Aren't we all.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

You'll get a stiff neck shaving...

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Are you willing to expand on your experience Andy?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It will make shaving other areas easier then ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Would have been a waste of money if he hadn't expanded on the experience ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

LOL!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, dead easy. It's even better if you suspend it from floor and ceiling, on taut stainless steel cables. That way you can get a rigid mounting.

Cable rigging kit is dead common these days, but still horribly expensive for the fittings. Shopfitting suppliers are often better priced.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

from the wooden ceiling,

ceiling, on taut stainless steel cables. That way you can get a rigid mounting.

Suspending a mirror from the ceiling and geting a rigid mounting naturally follow each other surely?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang