Surge protection

Okay, thanks. This reassures me. The storyline was indeed on ship. I didn't know about the earthing situation there.

I remember as a child being told that ship's equipment never worked on shore because of superstition. However, I fairly soon found out it was not because of superstition but because if was DC.

Reply to
Scott

bzzzt.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why would having the earth floating between live and neutral be worse than the usual "inland" situation where one or other of the common mode surge suppressors will usually have the full mains voltage across it? It should make no difference at all for suppressors between live and neutral. John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Some types are wired delta, and the working voltage rating of the part connected neutral to ground *might* be low (expected inland, but not on a boat)

Perhaps. I don't pretend to understand US coastguard paranoia, particularity where I can't find an authoritative statement exactly why they must have the precaution in place. So the above is mine. YMMV.

Meanwhile, I'll offer US travellers a conversion service for their onboard electrical devices. $100 a snip ;->

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz