Surge Protection Devices

Does anyone have any recommedations for Surge Protection Devices which are suitable for use where they can't be fitted in a modern consumer unit?

How useful are SPDs where all the local wiring is under ground, but some of the 11KV upstream of the local transformer is overhead?

I was surprised to discover that they are fitted in parallel with a consumer rather before and in series.

Reply to
Michael Chare

you can get an SPDs combined with a mains isolator, e.g

or

pass, probably depends if urban or rural, your supplier might give you some numbers to plug into the formula

Andy Burns

It does seem strange, safety wise, that what looks like a big red isolation switch may not actually isolate the consumer unit.

alan_m

Yes I think the main switch just isolates the surge protector, it does not stop power going to the Surge Protector.

If the Surge Protector stays closed the company fuse will blow. :-(

Reply to
Michael Chare

Well somewhere in my system are some little gadgets RS used to sell as surge protectors.They are supposed to put a shor on the line if the mains rises to a certain peak. As yet one has never blown any circuit breakers. Now that could be because its totally useless, I have no way to know!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Then don't label it up as the CU isolator.

Reply to
ARW

Do you fit them?

Reply to