Strip for bottom of garage door?

My up-and-over garage door has over an inch gap at the bottom. So I'm constantly sweeping out dead leaves. Can anyone recommend an easily applied (and easily obtained) strip of material I can secure to it please?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Brush strip style draught excluders as sold for front doors & the like. I did this myself recently (exactly the same problem), fixing them to a metal garage door using small self tappers in pilot holes.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I have seen rubber tubing added to the bottom of the door, my neighbour has some sort of tough felt in a sort of tube shape on his, brushstrip would be fine too.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Foam pipe insulation used for water pipes slips on to the the bottom of the door easily.

Reply to
curious

I added a bristle strip (metal strip with about an inch of bristles coming out along its length) to the bottom of ours after rodent ingress a little while back.

Since then, no more rodents.

Reply to
Gary

I bought some foam rubber strip from one of the sheds, specifically designed for garage doors. Made by 3M IIRC, it had this sort of profile (Fixed font reqd.):

/ \______/

Fixed it with pop rivets & large washers.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann

You must have very thick rodents, ours just nibble their way through. They haven't done this in the garage though which also has a length of brush strip fixed along the bottom edge and 4" wide bits of carpet tile type carpet up the sides as far as possible to keep the driving rain and snow out.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Many thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I screwed some 1" x 3/4" (or so) batten to the floor in the garage, which the doors butt against when shut. We haven't had a single mouse in the garage since! The only down-side is that you can't sweep the garage out into the drive now, but it's a small price to pay.

Reply to
Huge

I used Damp proof course membrane. fold in half an dthen pop rivet the open end to the door in with a backing strip. sort of like: | | |

Reply to
dave sanderson

Screwfix do a Garage Draught And Rain Seal which I have used - does what it says on the tin (it's a rubber strip attatched to a aluminium carrier that you screw onto the door) - but it seems a tad expensive at £15 a shot. I sealed the top of my garage door with one, deciding that there was a bigger draught at the top than the bottom.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

I have a folding automatic garage door with a tough rubber tube along the bottom. Mice have eaten a doorway through that!

Reply to
Broadback

How about something like StormShield garage door threshold? It fits to the floor and the door shuts against it forming a seal and preventing water from running into the garage. Ok I know it's only 1/2 inch high. Maybe raise the floor of your garage or lower the door a bit?

think the following site delivers internationally.

Rob Horton