Strange mould?!

Hi,

Last week a strange "mould" like growth started to appear under one of my kitchen units and oven. It was like a white fluff which was growing up from the concrete floor, covering it like a carpet.

I spent last saturday taking the oven out and the kitchen unit, I got in behind, scraped it all up and then left teh floor to soak in a very strong commercial detergent. I then scrubbed it all down, cleaned it up, waited for it to air and dry and put everything back.

This morning I have noticed that the growth has reappeared!!!

Does anybody have any idea what coudl be causing it and how I can get rid of it once and for all!!!!! My wife won't let it drop, so it will be another weekend pulling the kitchen apart and I want to make sure I stop it fully this time!

Thanks

Reply to
Thomarse

Could this perhaps be:

Chris J Dixon

Possibly.. although what would cause the cudden onset of it?

I did have a radiator leak a few weeks ago which made this floor wet which has since ben fixed, so I guess that could explain it. But why has it come back after i have cleaned it and no further water has been in contact.

Reply to
Thomarse

I suspect fungal mycelia growing out from some rotten wood somewhere. (Have a google and see if anything looks similar).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It could take months to dry out, longer if you have floor coverings down and it was very wet. If it is efflorescence its harmless to everything but your vac.

Reply to
dennis

Dear Thomarse It is most likely to be efflorescence. Washing it is the last thing to do! Brush it off dry. Should stop when the supply of water dries up It is not characteristic of being mycelium Chris

Reply to
mail

You could find out who your local mycological recorder is, and send him/her a sample:

Spamlet

or you could look at it under a x10 lens (any strong magnifying glass) and determine if it is crystalline or mycelial (ie biological with cylindrical shape and non-crystalline microstruture indicative of a fungus!) Chris

Reply to
mail

Definitely efflorescence. The only cure is to dry out the concrete, which will take time. Harmless if unsightly.

Reply to
Gib Bogle