Storage heaters stiff

Anyone know how those lift lower flaps inside Dimplex storage heaters work and why some remain easy to adjust while others stiffen up or get completely jammed. I don't want to take the whole heaters to pieces, but its getting annoying on a couple now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The flap is hinged in the middle and one side covers a hole exposing the bricks. The flap is weighted so that by default it covers this hole ... like a see-saw with a fat kid on one end. The dial on the labelled Boost is attached to a 'finger', and as you turn it the finger moves towards the flap. At some point (on mine when the dial reaches about 4) the finger makes contact with non-fat-kid side of the flap and starts to push down on it which gradually moves the fat kid upwards, therby opening the hole.

I guess, like any mechanical device, lubrication doesn't last for ever. I admit I don't understand why they get quite as stiff as they do. Heat probably has something to do with it, but you'd have thought a company whose business for the past 40 years has been producing _heaters_ should have got this covered.

You should just be able to remove the top panel using the screws along the back. Then lubricate it. I guess they have lots of different models so YMMV.

Alex

-- Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer

Alexander Lamaison

Hmm, ah I see, well I will have to be careful what lubricant i use. I wil l stink the place out if I'm not careful! These look pretty basic, so I'll have to look for screws for the covers after lettting them cool down one at a time. One would have thought that it might hav been some form of cam away from the heat, then it would not dry out so fast. Typical British company, we have built em like this since I were a lad.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If they are like ours, the screws are at the bottom of the NSHs and you'll need a stubby screwdriver to remove/replace them. The cover then pulls out from the bottom and clips off/on the top.

David

Reply to
David P

On ours the damper over the vent at the top of the store is accessed by removing three screws along the back edge then lifting up and sliding forward to disengaged from a small lip along the front edge. Getting the top back on correctly along the front can be a fiddle.

TBH I'm not quite sure what Brian means by "Anyone know how those lift lower flaps inside Dimplex storage heaters work".

The only moving flap in ours is the one at the top. IIRC this is lightly spring biased open and the is a large bimetal strip that shoves it closed as the temp goes up. The amount of force the bi-metal strip exerts on the flap is controlled by a cam linked to the "boost" (aka output) control.

A picture is no help to Brian but I don't think he's quite as blind as he sometimes makes out. B-)

isn't mine but similar. The flap is the large silver thing lower left corner and the "boost" control and bi-metal linkage above and down the upper edge of the flap.

I also notice that that one has gone rusty as well, all of ours are as well. I don't quite understand why that should be but it probably doesn't help with things stiffening up. Any lubricant just dries out as it's FING hot inside the top of NSH... A thin smear of high melting point grease may work, for a while, but probably best just to clean up and free off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice