Stopping cracks from re-appearing when skimming plaster

I am currently re-plastering my living room in c1920s house. Having stripped the wallpaper the existing lime plaster has a huge number of hairline cracks with a few larger cracks thrown in.

Having done some re-skim work in other parts of the house I have found over time some of the hairlines have re-appeared and joins between patches and existing plaster have opened up again. Although this has happened over the period of a few years each winter a few more seem to appear.

Option 1:

Hack the whole lot off and replaster with Hardwall and then Multi-Finish. If the walls don't have any joins/patches this will reduce potential weak points that are liable to crack. Hardwall on lime mortar walls will crack to a certain extent over time due to the walls being flexible and Hardwall not.

Option 2:

Tape the large cracks and skim the existing. Has anyone any experience of fibre-bind which can be added to the 1st coat of the skim mix ? This is supposed to help prevent cracking but I wonder if it works. I also think it reduces the setting time marginally which could make the job more difficult.

Option 3:

Re-plaster with sand/cement/lime (hydrated) but this will be hard work and heavy. The lime will introduce some flex though but still probably not as good as the original.

Should I just face it and accept that *all* plaster will crack over time and just take the easiest option - 2 ?

TIA for any advice.

Reply to
andy.hide

Option 4: (A lot less work) Cut back the large cracks ie undercut them so the base of the crack is wider than the surface. Fill with lime mortar. Allow to set up for a few days. Use limewash to fill in the hairline cracks and generally consolidate the surface. Leave to set for a couple of weeks before redecorating or simply decorate with limewash

You will then have a continuous and reliable 1920s wall. However if you are keen on getting a plumb and perfect surface then you will ignore my suggestion

I used to know an Andy Hide when I was a wannabe biker and under age drinker at Whites

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hi Mary good to see you back here. Is the kitchen in action then?

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Don't ask.

The plumbing is finished and the water is warming in the sun so I'm doing laundry. One wall is being painted as I type, the grouting has been done. Only two more doors, the floor and three walls to go. And a dg pane in the window and the cooker hood re-fitted. I can't do much because the pins are still in my toes.

It had better see us out, I can't bear this upheaval again - and the rest of the house is a filthy mess and must be attacked but it won't be as bad as doing the hub.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The plan was to go for the more modern look so I think it's looking like hacking the whole lot off and starting again.

Mmm not me I'm afraid!

Reply to
andy.hide