Stone houses.

Nah. you get that from Brown Rice and Islington

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, plenty of those streets, built in mid to late Victorian times as Penzance expanded east and north. But although they're granite-faced, I don't know their internal construction. Unlikely to have mundic though.

Most of Penzance is not actually on granite, so radon is even less likely to be an issue.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Year.

I assume. I cut and pasted that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A cellar means you can ventilate the Radon away.

Reply to
Fredxx

This is because the smoke is inhaled deep into the lungs.

Oy, you should know better than this. 7.8 mSv PER WHAT?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yeah. I thought that would probably be it. Well, as you say,

7.8mSv/year is nothing at all.
Reply to
Tim Streater

It's far better to see if there are any obvious problems before you get these wasters in. Save some money.

If anything is wrong demand a price reduction.

Reply to
harry

You really are a shit-fer-brains.

A significant number die horribly of cancer and have their life shortened. The ones that don't address the problem.

Reply to
harry

I shall be interested to see your evidence that radon in Cornwall causes a significant number there to die of cancer caused by it. In reality, there isn't any evidence (I looked, a few years ago; IIRC lung cancer rates were below the national average). Very few people 'address the problem', as you put it, because there isn't a problem.

As usual you're talking through your arse.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message <q9n8qo$mv3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Clive Arthur snipped-for-privacy@nowaytoday.co.uk> writes

Interesting question. We're at the opposite end (Aberdeenshire), in a granite built house (1880s), with solid granite external walls 32 - 36 inches thick. Most fireplaces have been removed over the years, but some were conventional with a chimney breast while others were in the wall. Easy to see, as below the carpet the original granite heath is still visible. All the fireplaces are/were on external walls.

Yes, granite houses are cold, but Aberdeenshire is colder than Cornwall.

Yes, parts of Aberdeenshire, like parts of Cornwall, enjoy Radon, but I have yet to meet anyone who worries about it, or has taken any form of action.

Reply to
Graeme

See for example

"The differences between observed and predicted mortality in Cornwall and Devon districts were compared with average indoor levels of radon, which varied considerably between districts. Residual variations in lung cancer mortality were not significantly correlated with average indoor radon measurements. The current advice of the National Radiological Protection Board to government is to concentrate radon measurements, remedial action, and preventive action principally on Cornwall and Devon, but cross-sectional geographical data do not support the hypothesis that raised levels of radon indoors in southwest England have an important effect on lung cancer mortality".

Note that last sentence!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In Cornwall, Mundic block is an issue in many 'newer' properties.

Reply to
Andrew

Only if you apply it to the scone before/after the jam :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I thought it was heavier than air ... if so how does it come "up" ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A cellar means you *need* to ventilate the radon away ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well if you really believe the cellar is sealed, it will fill up. And then come up. In reality dynamic pressure changes associated with wind on doors and windows will be more than enough to "stir things up" so that it mixes with ground floor air.

Reply to
newshound

Not sure I'd trust that with LPG ... known for pooling and exploding ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

One reason being that LPG cools significantly as it leaks. It doesn't alter the fact that it will eventually disperse by diffusion anyway, if it is not being replaced. You need quite a deep containment (like a ship's hold or a brewing vessel) for carbon dioxide to be really dangerous (unless there is a huge leak).

Reply to
newshound

If you go down your local builders merchant, they will have radon proof membranes. They even have it where I live. But then I hear you associate with some very dim people.

harry

overpressure.

And diffusion

Reply to