Stone Grinding/Sanding Discs (if there is such a thing)

I need to shave off some protruding corners off of breeze blocks (concrete blocks) leaving a nice, smooth surface (well as smooth as you can get with these rough and ready blocks). Need to take off up to about

12mm in the worst instance. What's the best type and make of disc for this sort of job? I'll be using my 115/125mm mini grinder.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Diamond disk. The cheapies will do for concrete blocks.

You can take the bulk off with a hammer and chisel. Or indeed do the whole job with a hammer & chisel & save money.

Reply to
harry

IIRC angle grinder discs for metal will cut stone but not vice versa. I don't have an angle grinder and have never felt the need for one.

Reply to
Nick

I found to my surprise that some discs meant for removing rust from car bodies worked really well for this. Gave a nice finish.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

Reply to
Huge

Indeed I have done this, but it's pains-taking and tricky, because the texture of these blocks is very knobbly so getting a smooth result is next to impossible, even though I'm something of a sculptor - at the risk of being accused of immodesty - if I say so myself. I suppose I could use stone *cutting* discs to x-hatch the proud surfaces and then chip them back with a chisel if the worst comes to it, but I'll check out the other suggestions first.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Stone polishing discs are/were available. USed a lot by stone masons at one time.

Don't use a cutting disc. It may shatter if you attempt to use the surface to polish

Reply to
fred

Yup, got one today locally, although these discs are rarer on the ground than the other types you get. You can also order them via suppliers like Toolstation.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom