Sticking wallpaper to ply

Not quite wallpaper - sheets of doll's house type paper, to attach to bare ply. Plan A is 50/50 white PVA and water, which is similar to 'school' glue. Straight PVA would be overkill. Plan B is ordinary wallpaper paste.

Question is, should I prepare the ply with a coat of something first? Perhaps 50/50 PVA/water or wallpaper paste? Areas range from, say, 10 by 8 inches up to 96 by 16 inches.

(This is much more fun than thinking about that poxy cracked bath, which can wait).

Reply to
Graeme

It depends on what the end use is going to be and if the decor will be changed over time. If changes are a possibility I'd use wallpaper paste

Either of those - a good soaking of the ply with it and then leave to dry properly.

Reply to
Mark Allread

wallpaper paste is fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. Seal the wood first with a dilute coat of the PVA. Otherwise you will find it is more like impact adhesive grabbing on too quickly.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Thanks for all the replies. Having some spare wallpaper paste to hand, I slapped that on three trial pieces yesterday, and will see how the paper attaches today. Remind me this time next year, to check the paper is still attached :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Bit late now, but if you seal the ply beforehand with a coat of dilute PVA and let it dry thoroughly first this might prevent the ply soaking up too much water . IMO in principle it would be a bad idea to use PVA directly to the ply, as it would be difficult to remove the paper later if this was thought necessary - at any point after the PVA has thoroughly dried out onwards into the future, for reasons presently unknown - when there is a less permanent but equally effective option available. (As applies to many of the permanent glueing solutions suggested on here ) Anyway if the paste works o.k. there's no need. If it doesn't then that's what I'd suggest.

michael adams

michael adams

In message , michael adams writes

Thanks Michael. Unlikely to want to change the paper later, but am going with wallpaper paste anyway, as it seems to do the job, and I have half a bucket full sitting here.

Reply to
Graeme