Staining from ceiling joists

We're finally getting around to redecorating the back bedrooms; these were built (an extension to the house) about 25 years ago. They've been redecorated since then, but I suspect that the ceilings -- artex on plasterboard -- have never been painted.

The problem is that I can see the lines of the ceiling joists in parts of the room -- dark lines, as if dirt from the joists has leeched through the ceiling to leave a sort of ghost-staining showing through the artex. (I know -- dirt doesn't leech. That's the effect, though.) I know the roof up there is sound, and the ceilings are dry.

I'm pretty positive, given previous experience in this house, that the artex isn't sealed -- a lesson learned in the sitting-room, which absorbed coat after coat after coat after coat of ceiling paint... So I'm planning to treat the artex with a Unibond-type of sealant wash, then paint in the hope that the dark "follow-the-joists" lines will be covered.

Has anybody encountered a similar "dirt staining" problem? Did painting cover it, or is there some other treatment I need to do to those particular areas?

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

My guess is that it is caused by condensation. The bottom of the joists will be colder than the bottom of the insulation that I assume is between them. These cold bands will tend to get more condensation than the rest of the ceiling. You could add a second layer of insulation crossways over the top of the joists. Makes access and storage difficult though. Don't block the roof ventilation.

Reply to
John Armstrong

On 15 Jan 2005, John Armstrong wrote

That makes a lot of sense; it wouldn't be difficult to cover the joists up there -- that part of the loft isnt used for any kind of storage.

Thanks; I'll think seriously about that.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

I wouldn't seal it. Unsealed, it is much easier to steam off and replace with smooth proper plaster.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On 17 Jan 2005, Christian McArdle wrote

An excellent point, but it's a back, extra room which houses a spare TV, ironing and overspill guests (we have a different primary "guest bedroom"). So cleaning the artex off and plastering to make it look that much nicer just ain't gonna happen in my lifetime!

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle