Sprayed foam insulation

Has anyone had any experience of sprayed polyurathane foam insulation in buildings? I need to insulate a building (roof & walls) that will be my workshop. Roof is brand new fibre reinforced corrugated cement, walls are cement block to waist height then timber studding above. I had planned a suspended ceiling with rockwool on top, but I have headroom constraints that make the sprayed polyurathane look more promising. Walls could still be rockwool as it will be faced with 18mm boarding.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Wouldn't you be better lining it all (Walls and roof) with Polyisocyanurate foam sheets (Kingspan/Celotex)?

only workshop I've seen with a sprayed roof had wriggly asbestos cement sheet roofing panels and while the sprayed finish underneath worked as insulation after a year or so it was very dirty and impossible to clean because of its rough surface.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Here`s what the inside of a mate`s shed looks like.He had it done a few years ago,not pretty,but effective.

mark

Andrew

No experience of it as insulation of that kind, but I would want a pretty good vapour barrier between me and it - some of the chemicals in PU foam are distinctly noxious. It's also pretty awful stuff in a fire - produces vile black smoke with cyanides in it.

You can get fire retarded foamed polystyrene sheet in 8' x 4' sizes cut to pretty much any thickness you want - again needs a covering but it's quite cheap and a lot safer.

As an aside, I've had great success in making workshop floors by floating flooring grade chipboard on sheets of EPS foam.

All best

Norman

Reply to
Norman Billingham