Spray for keeping tools un-rusty

Is WD40 actually the right thing for this? I.e. a spray for tools that live in non-ideal conditions? Most of my tools get used enough that they don't get rusty but there are some of the rarely used ones that could do with some protection out in the garage through winter.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

I think ACF-50 is recommended, but I've always baulked at the price.
On 01/10/2016 11:21, Andy Burns wrote:

Make one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssp8qZCuAjk

On 01/10/2016 12:12, ss wrote:

My uncle, who was an excellent carpenter, kept a tin of varnish. After using a tool he would dip into to this. Never a bit of rust.
On 01/10/2016 12:12, ss wrote:

I use the marine version of AC50 on my boat - superb stuff
On 01/10/2016 11:12, Chris Green wrote:

A very thin smear of light grease is the traditional solution which still seems to work well and is very cheap.
--
Chris B (News)

On 01/10/2016 12:50, Chris B wrote:

On reflection that advice is primary for Garden tools and might not be so applicable for other sorts of tools.
--
Chris B (News)

A bit difficult for sets of hex bits and such, and it's a bit difficult to smear sockets (as in socket set spanner sockets).
I have several hundred sockets around the place, mostly on racks, a quick spray is what I need! :-)
--
Chris Green
·

I use WD40 and it works fine.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 55th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

Me too.
This is the time of year (cold nights, humid days) condensation on metal surfaces, particularly big lumps of machined metal on saw tables etc. gather a patina of rust.
I go over mine with a cup wheel wire brush in the *angle grinder* on low speed. Then a waft of WD40 keeps them clear for weeks.

--
Tim Lamb

On 01/10/16 11:12, Chris Green wrote:

What you want is VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) paper to wrap the tools in. It can be reused proving you don't rip it to pieces. But it isn't cheap! This roll should last you a week or two...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)75330372&sr=8-1&keywords=vci+paper
--

Jeff

On 01/10/16 11:12, Chris Green wrote:

I've got some BoeShield which was hard to find online and not cheap. Having said that it seems to work and a can lasts forever.
On Saturday, 1 October 2016 11:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

That's just overoriced white spirit with a trace of oil. Just use oil, it's how Chinese manufacturers protect tools from corrosion.
NT
On Saturday, 1 October 2016 11:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

I use WD40 on my garden tools. Perfect. Just watch you don't miss any bits.
On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 11:16:05 AM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

WD40 totally evaporates eventually and stuff still goes rusty.
Waxoyl spray cans for cars, if they still do it, is good but messy. Motorbike chain grease spray (Halfords) is just as good.
On Wednesday, 5 October 2016 14:19:47 UTC+1, therustyone wrote:

Drivel. It evaporates leaving an oily film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 08:30:46 -0700 (PDT), harry

Sounds interesting where do they sell Drivel?

It spews free from his arse, no one is actually stupid enough to pay for it.

I must have been using a cheap imitation.

Not IME.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 59th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.