Speedfit technique

He'd get sued for copyright infringement?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"John Rumm" wrote | Minor Niggles: | Images lack alternate text descriptions (but there are unlikely | to be that many partially sighted boiler repair people out | there - so not that much of an issue)

There are plenty of people who browse with images off anyway, and even though there may not be many partially sighted boiler repair people there could be boiler repair people who've got partially sighted people doing their research and purchasing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've got one very basic browser (Netsurf) which is great for glancing at sites for information purposes as it renders near instantly. And your site delivers the 'bones' just fine on it.

Works well on my other two RISC OS browsers as well.

So I'd say it is accessible to anyone on any platform without problems.

I'm always surprised at the number of sites designed as a service to a customer - and therefore to help sell a product - that are made inaccessible to many because of the totally unnecessary use of the latest plug in gizmo all in the name of 'design'. And those that use stupid ideas like black text on a dark background - or across some graphic - making it near impossible or tiring to read.

Just love the ones that pop up saying 'this site is best viewed on IE whatever' Would RS Components be best pleased if their site had a pop up saying 'you'd be better off buying from CPS'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looks fine to me. Very good, in fact. (Firebird 0.7 on Solaris 8).

Hear, hear!

Reply to
Huge

Open your browser and load your site, then turn of images and reload, does the site still make sense and would it make sense to someone who had never visited it before. Also if what you see is being spoken to you via a text to speech browser would it make sense [1]. I also think you shouldn't be choosing text sizes, if you want to do that then do so via a style sheet (either embedded or linked), then the visitor can decide if your suggested text size is OK for *them* - otherwise they can refuse your suggestion and chose their own IYSWIM.

Apart from the above I have no pressing issues, other than the automatic redirect on the default opening page, you invite people to read the intro and follow one of the supplied URL but far to quickly IMO take them on to another page that could have contained the introduction anyway !

[1] bearing in mind that images without an alt description could well have the images src URL read out instead.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Can you get sued for a redirect ?.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes where is Dim Lin, the Oriental Enchantresses web site? Good point Maxie.

Reply to
IMM

What a diork! Dim Lin is a bird. An Oriental enchantress.

Reply to
IMM

Maxie. The opening is cluttered. I have tightened and smartened it up for you. The itemised parts you services are now clear and in order and would be better in bold to grab the readers eye. Alos he now knows that you have the part and can have it the next day, or the same day if he visits your place. ________ Control Engineering Technology repair and recondition:

- Printed circuit boards

- Controls

- Fans

- Timers

- Actuators for central heating boilers.

Trading since 1993, Control Engineering Technology do extensive work for large service companies. However, we supply to anyone giving a cost effective alternative to new boiler parts. Browse the product range and view our competitive prices. If the part you are looking for is not listed, it doesn't mean that we can't supply it, so contact us. What is listed is in stock unless stated.

If in stock, parts can be collected from our premises, or next day delivery. All items are covered by a 12 month guarantee. All prices exclude VAT and delivery.

Contact Control Enfineering Technology for more details. ______________

Your pcbs and modules should state what boiler models they are applicable. A customer seeing pcb number, 1234/abc, will not know that is for a say W-B Junior. He only knows his boiler make and model. Or put in the models you know it is applicable to, and say "amongst others", and when you learn of other models insert them. Make it easy for them. You may do many parts, but don't have a particular part in stock. This should be clear that you do it, but an "out of stock contact us" should accompany the part description.

Reply to
IMM

The very thought of you taking a hacksaw to prose...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Very nice. A simple map might be useful for people trying to find you. I found that the picture of this product

Stelrad - Pcb Product Name : Stelrad Elan. Description : 7A (60550) Notes : 50550 GC Number : 319035

would not display more than the top 1" , when using Mozilla. Don't know why. Hope this helps.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Absolutely right - and a bit embarrassing

I made loads of photos but then got a new camera and was going to make some much better photos, which of course, has never been finished.

Ooh, hopefully this might be useful, spam is really getting out of hand on that addy atm. Possibly changed to the .co.uk at the same time and letting the .com stuff die naturally.

Reply to
raden

Or CPC even ...

Reply to
raden

In message , IMM writes

My whole database needs a major overhaul, it's grown up over the years and yes there are a few things which need updating. Yes, there are a few things in the T&Cs which could be better written

Reply to
raden

In message , Capitol writes

I've just installed firefox on the laptop, I'll take a look

Thanks to all who replied, comments have been taken on board (most of them I knew, but just hadn't got around to addressing) and now have a bit of a kick into action

Cheers

Reply to
raden

In article , Andy Hall writes

For you, maybe. I have always had superb service from the NHS (two recent hospitalisations), aftercare, dental treatment, etc. And your point about the NHS being free at the point of delivery is disingenuous

- there are prescription charges and dental charges, for instance.

Do you not think having a centralised service brings with it purchasing power and the ability to negotiate prices down? It works for the supermarkets, after all.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Owain writes

And have you seen the cost of drugs in America? At least the NHS is able to use its buying power to negotiate bulk prices.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Andy Hall writes

The Tories thought privatisation and competition was the answer for Britain's railways. Look at the state of them now.

Some services are best run by the state.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Andy Hall writes

But that's the nature of taxation, isn't it? I live alone and have no children, nor any intention to have any. But much of the taxes I pay subsidises the cost of child benefit and providing schools. I accept this as a part of supporting my local community.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Andy Hall writes

You completely avoided Frank's point, which was that the local loop was installed in subscriber (oops, used the Nasty Word) homes when BT was a state monopoly (i.e. the GPO) and thus public money was responsible for the initial investment in the phone network we have and enjoy today.

Consider the situation with the cable companies. They'll only dig up roads and install new infrastructure when there is clearly a profit to be made. That leaves swathes of the country without the service in question.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson