"Speed it up" horror

Foolishly, I fell for a 1$ offer of a collection of so-called "Speed it up" apps. When they started taking an age to install, I decided to cancel. But the remains have no delete option, and have managed to make themselves virtually impossible to delete. Anyone else fallen for them and know how to delete them ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

install MINT

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Googling 'MINT' brings up a variety of programs of that name. None of them appear to relevant to this problem. Can you please be a bit more specific ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Whilst it is certainly a correct answer to the actual question, it almost certainly wasn't the direction you were thinking...

I'd start with Trend Housecall -

- just to make sure none of them are really naughty. After that, then probably Spybot S+D -

A good googling may well find specific uninstall instructions for some.

Reply to
Adrian

Malwarebytes has pulled me out of the brown stuff a few time. It's very good at finding PUPs

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Obviously time for reset to factory and re-install.

Reply to
polygonum

Just tell your free Total Uninstall app to uninstall them. Ah, you didnt install that. That leaves the system rollback option.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Could you start off by saying what machine this is, what OS you are running, and the *exact* name of the software you installed?

Reply to
GB

Linux MINT

That will remove all the malware including windows itself from the machine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Download, install, de-select "enable free malwarebytes Pro trial", Finish.

Allow it to update and then do a quick scan.

Reply to
John Rumm

Na, get Makita!

Reply to
John Rumm

Many thanks for offering to help. The machine is a Dell. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, running Windows XP Pro, version 2002 Service Pack 3 The thing I want to get rid of announces itself as 'PCoptimiser pro ver

6.5.5.5' Using Search and Windows Explorer, I can locate its .exe and delete it - but it somehow restores itself every time!
Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Andy Burns

Very helpful, I must say. Ahem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks Andy.

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Within 3 minutes of your posting the *exact* nature of the problem, Andy posted a solution. There's a lesson to be learned here, Jim.

If you have the time, I would suggest storing your data, then reformatting the hard disk and reinstalling everything. Support for Win XP is ending next month, so you could reasonably take the opportunity to upgrade (or 'move', for the pedantic) to Win7 or 8.

Reply to
GB

This isn;t another post about the usefulness of angle grinders is it ;-)

Last time I uninstalled windows I used a simple hammer .

Reply to
whisky-dave

Google "Whoosh!"

Reply to