Solvent waste pipe

I've got lots of pipe and fittings from different sources, is it possible to mix white and grey (apart from the appearance aspect). It seems to stick ok. Thanks

Reply to
Peter

In article , Peter writes

Yes, as long as you're sure it's solvent, the differences are just cosmetic. Solvent should be marked BS5255, ABS, PVC or uPVC, push-fit is polypropylene and marked BS5254.

Reply to
fred

What exactly is "solvent" waste pipe?

If one pipe fits into the next one then it should be all right. If you are talking about using solvent adhesive that should be alright too. Few different brands of these things mix, some do and some will with minor fiddling.

In the Victorian age of sewer piping the top floor had narrow pipe flowing into a funnel for a larger pipe and that into a larger one. All open to the air. It was replaced with closed joints eventually using much the same method of male/female coupling as ever. Sealed with a putty type of filler.

I don't think that cast iron pipes were replaced until the 1960's. There has never been a standard size and fitting to this day as far as I know. It tends to put people off mixing them.

Silly really, for if the top pipe fits into the lower one there is no real need for sealing them. But that's just my opinion.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

[SNIP]

Uh? if you just push solvent weld together it will a) leak b) let in bad smells from the drains. c) the first time some poor sod rods the pipe the join will fall apart, probably in an inaccessible place. I know this to be true because I have come across bodged situations where a diyer hadn't bothered to weld the pipes together

Reply to
BillR

There's an overflow pipe from my central heating header tank. As it's "only an overflow", no-one bothered to solvent weld it. So then when the header tank ballvalve failed, then tank over-flowed, the joint leaked and poured water through my ceiling.

So, if it's worth installing a pipe at all, install it right !

My house is a mess of bad '70s DIY bodges, and worse repairs made by the landlord's plumber. I've had four ceiling leaks, around 16 assorted leaks in total (I may have lost count) and have had to replace all four ballvalves. Most of the trouble I've had, including having to re-repair everything that Super Mario has touched, has been down to this sort of "Oh, it'll probably be alright" attitude.

Andy Dingley

Hee Hee Hee !!!! Super Mario. Love it !!!! :-)) ROFL

Reply to
BigWallop

Apart from the cap and the New York Italian accent, he looks exactly like Mario !

Andy Dingley

The original poster never mentioned anything about putting it under floorboards or underground. I can't imagine what sort of a dick head would even consider that they meant that. Which leaves me wondering what sort of mental intellects I am responding to here. And why.

For the sake of the original poster, my reply still holds good if you are considering putting it down the wall from the gutters to the drain. Paint it first of course.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

You began your reply with:

What exactly is "solvent" waste pipe?

So if you've never heard of solvent cement for polypropelene, then how are we to know that you know "Exactly what you're on about". Solvent fittings and pipes have been on the market for many, many, many years, but you don't know what the OP is talking about exactly.

Reply to
BigWallop

Welcome to uk.d-i-y. Take a deep breath, hold it and wait until someone tells you when to breath out.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes Adam. And thank you for the links. Very enlightening. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

The integrity of a solvent weld pipe system from the mechanical point of view depends on it being welded rather than simply pushed together. If you want push fit systems these are available too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You mean I am thick as the rest of you? Never. Find another facet of meanings if you can.

(I'm presuming you know that I don't know what I think I know for reasons you know I don't know.)

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

But he never specified!

I quite agree with the thought though.