Solvent Cement Filler

My plan for a kitchen move/extension has a critical dependency on being abl e to tap into an internal boxed-in soil stack for drainage. Having drilled a hole in the boxing today I've thankfully been able to confirm with a bore scope that there's sufficient means and room for a strap-on boss to be used .

Given the soil pipe appears to be Osma I figured I might as well go with on e of their strap-on bosses[1] too as this isn't a connection I can afford t o get wrong. Too this end, I've noted from Osma's design guide[2] that 'Sol vent Cement Filler' should be used. Presumably this is given the nature of the joint not lending itself to 'standard' solvent cement?

However, I've since learnt that not only does hardly anywhere seem to sell this stuff (why not?) but also that it's around £20+ for a 200g tube!

So, I was wondering if there are any alternatives (e.g. other brands, stand ard cement, etc) or should I just swallow the cost on the basis that if tha t's what's required that's what's required! Can the cement filler be used o n 'normal' connections too? I was also wondering why it's in a tube rather than a tub-with-brush which I assume is easier to use?

I have also considered whether instead of the strap-on boss if I could cut the pipe and insert a bossed pipe connector[3] in between but I'm not sure if there's any slack to push the upper pipe up to allow this to work.

Mathew

[1]
ddle_product_detail_I [2] Pg 110 of
$FILE/OSMA_Soil_Waste_Design_Inst_Guide_SW206.pdf [2]
ddle_product_detail_I
Reply to
Mathew Newton

[...]

Solvent cement is what is used on some waste pipe fittings. (As opposed to push in/Oring and the compression type) I have used this in the past with no trouble.

harryagain

Thanks Harry. I may have not been clear enough in my post; it is not the fa ct that solvent cement is required but rather that the gap-filling variety is specified by Osma for a strap boss whereas I've not seen the same by oth er manufacturers.

This could turn out to be a moot point as I'm actually leaning towards the use of a mechanical boss now:

black.html

Not only does this remove the one-chance-is-all-youve-got aspect of solvent weld but it is also a fraction of the cost - only £10 compared to the £50 Osma setup (i.e. once degreaser and cement are factored in). Of cours e, I don't want to trade a financial cost with one of performance but I don 't think I would be - particularly if I used a smear of silicone and a coup le of jubilee straps to aid the integrity of the connection for peace of mi nd if nothing else.

It may well be prudent for me to have an access panel for this connection a nyway and so I will be able to satisfy myself that it is sound and not leak ing.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

A little late replying, but I used one of those when connecting the bathroom waste to my soil pipe.

Very quick and easy to install (well as long as you drill the right sized hole.....) and seems to make a very secure connection

Reply to
chris French