Solution to removing cork tiles

I told Spouse about the d-i-y tip to use a hot air gun to remove the old cork tile adhesive in the bathroom. He tried that for a few inches and it was taking ages as well as power.

He grumbles about everything he does but this time I sympathised and suggested that he simply took up the whole lot in one go by lifting the underlying ply.

He did, got a couple of 8x4 sheets, removed the old ply+tiles intact, dealt with pins, cleaned floorboards, laid new ply and fitted new cork tiles in a few hours. Bingo!

Minimal financial cost and, more important, minimal time and irritation cost. It was well worthwhile.

What's more, I could have a bath :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And you have some free cork noticeboards as well!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah - thanks! I was wondering what to do with it ... that was the only draw back, the waste!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If the surface is grotty, cover with hessian or similar loosely-woven material.

Smaller offcuts can be used as heat-resistant coasters.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"When in doubt Rip it out"

It's been a golden axiom of mine from early days of fixing cars as a student.

Some years ago I had to remodel my mothers kitchen...I spent more time in adapting stuff to keep a naff cupboard...than I did on the entire rest of the kitchen

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is that the annual or the biennial one Mary?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not grotty. I've been looking round forwall space. There isn't any, even the outside brick walls with enough area are covered with something or other.

Coasters?

!

You are Penny and I claim my £5!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Funny you should say that. A friend recently said it of my uterus ...

When I think about it I was telling Spouse to rip things out of the kitchen in January. Your mention of the naff cupboard reminded me. It's a much lighter and more pleasant workroom now.

And all that Stuff acquired over the years - all to the charity shop it went!

Cathartic.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Owain contains these words:

My eight year old son was playing with cork coasters in a bar on holiday and said "This is just posh chipboard, isn't it".

Reply to
Guy King

I'm not answering that on the grounds that it might be used in evidence against me.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Maybe they were just looking for something to sell on eBay. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Well, my endometrium is certainly "unusual" according to the surgeon.

I'll find our more tomorrow. I'll put you top of the list of bidders.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks but I need a matching pair, dried, to go one each side of the shrunken head. :-)

And no, that doesn't mean I want to wear them as earrings.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

No problem. but it will be twice the price.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You certainly know how to put people off dried uterus collection. :-(

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Friend of mine had a placenta in his freezer for about a year.

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
Paul Herber

I haven't had one of those for 20 years.

The last placenta was 38 years ago.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher