Decorating problem - cork tiles

I have a problem and wondered if anyone here could offer a solution.

Downstairs toilet, about 7ft x 2ft 6ins. A friend has asked me to paint the walls and ceiling. One wall is covered by thin (abt 3mm) cork tiles which have sculptured surface pattern on them and they are varnished. They are a bit tatty, with some corners broken off, but otherwise quite firmly glues to the wall with some sort of hard glue, a bit like ceramic tile adhesive. Underneath is quite old plaster. If I try and get them off I suspect most of the plaster will come off as well. There's a ch radiator on the wall, with the pipework all boxed in, so moving the rad will require removal of the boxing - which seems to be glued, not screwed. The rad is also mounted quite close to the wall - about 10mm clearance to the valves.

I'd thought about gluing some thin (up to 4mm) ply to the walls (but not completely behind the rad), then lining paper and paint. Would this work, what sort of glue should I use?

Any other ideas? The friend really doesn't want the mess and cost of replastering (which I wouldn't attempt anyway).

Thanks, David

Reply to
DavidM

I think you are the Medway Handyman and I claim my £5!!

John

Reply to
John

So youre looking for a cheap easy option. I suppose you could glue up

4mm ply, or perhaps fix it with lots of PB screws, countersinking each one. No, glue it. Then fill the gaps which will inevitably crack, then lining paper to cover cracking.

That or use plasterboard and stop it 10mm away from the radiator, making sure you get the gap symmetrical and clean edged all round.

There is flexible PB, which ISTR being thinner than 9.5, but not sure.

Otherwise if you cant lve with that its a whole lotta work.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why not skim it and then paper?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not me, nowhere near Medway, so no beer money for you today ;)) David

Reply to
DavidM

I can fill well but I wouldnt try to skim it cos I dont have skimming experience, and I expect thats pretty common. If its filled properly there isnt really much point skimming before papering. He's trying to cut costs too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

skimmimg to that level is easy. slap it on and scrape off excess, then sand it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's normally a rubber based adhesive.

Sounds an expensive fix, given the cost of plywood. I'd be inclined to use hardboard and a 'no more nails' type stuff. Or better still tile with ceramic tiles directly onto the old ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)