Solum query

Hi all I am putting the solum in my 20 sq metre extension its 50mm premix concrete on 150mm hardcore on polythene etc. My question is- will the solum take my scaffolding weight etc without cracking . Its just so much easier to put the solum in when the foundations are at ground level.

Reply to
tom patton

what's a solum?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

This answer is based on nothing more than gut feel rather than a scientific consideration of the loads, so treat accordingly.

I think you'll be fine, that sounds like a pretty solid sollum and the only risk I'd envisage would be damaging any damp proofing. I'd maybe compact the hardcore a bit more than normal just to be sure - treat it as if you were laying a solid floor rather than just the solum.

I'd spread the load from the scaffolding legs with some long battens, paying particular attention to feet near the edges, just in case.

Personally, I think I'd leave the solum 'till after the main buiding works. While it would be slightly easier to work and level early on you'll just have to clean it all off when your finished rather than just packing down the (suitable) debris and laying over the top. Level is not that big a deal on the solum (within reason) and it's quite easy to work from above once the walls are up.

Reply to
urchaidh

Steve asked.

Just what I was wondering!

Google search came up with; Solum - basically, a piece of ground. Usually taken to mean the area of ground covered by a building.

Clear as mud to me!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

It's the Scottish term for the ground under your house. This includes the earth/concrete under your ground floor void but is also the legal term for the ground on which the building stands, eg in a tenement all owners of flats in the tenement will have a proprietory interest in the solum.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not a slum/sollum expert but its the "ground" below the floorboards.Where I live it used to be covered with furnace ash-then it was pitch now its concrete I presume its to stop ingress from below in the form of weeds treeroots moisture etc.

Reply to
tom patton

Leave a temporary doorway in a convenient location for access during construction and brick it up later?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to