Solid bed tiling?

I have some 600x300mm glass tiles, the instructions say they need laying on a solid bed.

What's the reasoning behind this? If it's purely mechanical then it shouldn't be an issue as they are to be used a splashback and will be supported by a worktop.

I'm just concerned about getting them flat and level and would rather use the 'normal' method.

Reply to
R D S

Could they appear blotchy if not fully bedded due to their transparent nature (although they are usually painted on the back) ?

Anyway, "solid bed" usually means using the normal method and making sure the tiles are bedded down so there is virtually no voids underneath (lift the odd one to check). You need a "solid bed" trowel that lays out the ribs in such away that the adhesive can form a solid bed when the tiles as pushed down. For floors this is usually with semicircular notches.

Before a tiler told me this, I made the mistake of laying a solid bed like a plasterer and it took ages. I could not understand how a "solid bed" trowel differed from a plasterers trowel !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson