Solar reflective paint for polycarbonate roof.

I was looking for some method of reducing the temp in the conservatory and found this -

might just be normal wallop (emulsion) with a higher price, I don't know but it does the trick. We keep the pooches in there and they were gasping "water, shear me, I can't breathe". Temp went down from 41C to about 30C, light level down by around 40%. Anyway, the pooches gave me a round of apaws.

Reply to
brass monkey

The advert says you can paint it onto glass - did you do this and how's it stood the test of time? At over £13 per litre, I'd want to be pretty dam' sure it wasn't going to wash, or flake off the first time we get a downpour or snow on the roof.

Reply to
pete

It would be interesting to know how translucent a conservatory roof must be before it is no longer classed as a conservatory for building regulation / planning purposes. I think 75 percent of the roof has to be "translucent". Simon.

Reply to
Simon

I rollered it onto polycarbonate, about 12 sq mtrs of it. We've had a fair bit of heavy rain and hail, it still looks the same, time will tell.

Reply to
brass monkey

But does it need to have 75% translucency? If it isn't opaque then it's translucent, but Regs. might set a limit for the min.

Reply to
PeterC

I used polycarbonate sheet with a perforated metal film in the cavities, which proved to be very effective in Southern France. As I was replacing worn out sheet, I bought sheet with the film installed, but you can buy the strip to slide into existing sheet.

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It does when you build it.

*Non-permanent* means of shading such as blinds or whitewash don't affect that.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"nightjar .me.uk>"

Yes, I've seen that Colin, but being a cheapskate gave the paint a try :)

Reply to
brass monkey

Me too! I looked at these some years ago and worked out that they more than double the cost of the polycarbonate. Quoting from the website: "... Each roll covers approximately 1.3 & 1.6 Sq/M ..." so for a 600mm x

3 metre sheet, you're looking at (maybe) 1 1/2 rolls at £30 a go - yikes!!

Cheaper to open a window :-)

Reply to
pete

This is just what I have been searching for ...will certainly try it!

Reply to
exedevonian

And in the intervening years, did it all fall off?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"For technical reasons, production has had to be halted until new equipment is obtained. Ordering will then be restored on the web site. Meanwhile, we do apologise and are working hard to get things back to normality."

Doesn't sound too promising!

As an alternative, have any of you got any experience of this stuff, which is inserted into the slots of the polycarbonate panels?

Roger Mills