Solar Panels - change of views on this NG?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm saying something like:

There's been a pilot plant running for several years, making biodiesel and other hydrocarbons from general waste, but especially organic waste, as from chicken/turkey houses, sewage sludge, etc. In short, nearly anything that can be cooked and pressurised is rendered into useful fuels. Last time I read about it was a couple of years ago, but haven't looked it up since. Shades of Soylent Green.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Anyone else remember the one from Tomorrow's World many years back, where someone had devised a water treatment plant that used algae to digest the contaminants while photo synthesising? The waste products were clean water, oxygen, and loads of dead algae that could be harvested to make biodiesel. IIRC there was even some twist where the illumination round the digestion chamber was actually powered by the process rather than needing external energy input.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or more likely charge a higher rate of tax when the smart meter detects that someone has just plugged in one of those new-fangled electric cars.

If you use your domestic wiring for a LAN, it ought to be easy for every device plugged in to be chipped and pass information about itself back to the meter (and beyond the meter too).

Now, you surely don't think the Lib Dems are pushing smart meters just so they can make all the meter-readers redundant do you ?.

Reply to
Andrew