Solar Heating / Wind Power / Solar Power / UK Grants

258kw isn't nothing though - there's lots of smaller hydro schemes. Often cheap to build too.
cheers, clive
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:52:39 -0000, Clive George wrote:

Erm, yes, head is everything...
You can get small low head turbines but you phenomenal amounts of water to get any decent power from them. Water supply is normally the hard bit so the higher the head the more you get per kg of water passing through the turbine.

But not with 2.68m heads...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:01:28 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Which is why the local water supply company may be concerned if the house has an unmetered supply ;-)
AJH

But lb to a pinch of salt the supply would be more constant than a windmill, cheaper to install and not visually objectionable like windmills.
Isn't the average output of those ridiculously sited London turbines of the same order of magnitude as 258kw.
We have of course had this argument before (2 years ago) and IIRC the minimum flow at Teddington is 600 million litres a day and the maximum 9 times that so there is some scope for higher outputs.
--
Roger Chapman

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:45:06 GMT, Roger wrote:

Agreed, there is a 700 odd kW hydro system near here, supplies roughly 50% of the power used on The Moor. I bet most people don't even know it's there, they probably walk past the generator "hall" thinking it's a double garage. The water supply pipes are buried from a restored reservoir near the fell top originally built to provide water for the water wheels in the lead processing plant. English fecking Nature almost put a stop to the project due to the "disturbance laying the pipes". You couldn't tell where they ran 18 months after installation...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:48:20 +0000, Tony Bryer wrote:

Well it's the product of head and flow. The "Barrage du Rance" (or whetever the frogs call it) across the Rance estuary in northern France produces substantial power form very little head and massive volumes.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:31:18 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett wrote:

So will the Severn Barage if they ever get round to building it. IIRC something like 20% of the UKs power requirement but not 24/7...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Not even 20% of the UK's electricity, demand...and what a price to pay. A totally unique ecosystem of a few hundred square miles, wrecked.
Tony Bryer wrote:

As the actress said to the bishop, stirring her tea ...
Water head has to be low power, cos they pump water into tanks from boreholes using windmills in many part of the world, and we all know how effing useless windmills are.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:48:20 GMT Tony Bryer wrote :

Two years on ...
"Hundreds of homes could soon run on renewable electricity after the Environment Agency (EA) announced it was looking for a developer to create a sustainable hydropower scheme at Teddington Weir. ... "
http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/richmondnews/6646164.Hydopower_scheme_for_Teddington_Weir_ /
--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:15:12 -0700, js.b1 wrote:

WTF is that supposed to mean?
--
John Stumbles

I've got nothing against racists - I just wouldn't want my daughter to
John Stumbles wrote:

Anyone who isn't confused isn't thinking clearly.

Corporate pork = guaranteed demand for companies. Brown overalls = guaranteed unemployment reduction.
A lot of the "green industry" is nonsense: UK domestic wind turbines and UK commercially installed never-payback hot water solar panels.
Insulation, Design, Construction work.
js.b1 wrote:

Maybe if your communication skills were a little better, you could share your understanding of the subject more effectively.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

I think js.b1 made the point very effectively. Indeed, no less a person than Professor James Lovelock (of Gaia theory fame) made just the same point only a few days ago.
Climate change has become the most astonishing and profitable meal ticket for so many companies and individuals. Whether it is climate researchers, people studying impacts, designers and manufacturers of "green" items, consultants of all kinds and even economists, they are all sharing the bounty. No wonder they work so hard together to suppress results that contradict their "consensus".
Unfortunately, the climate change industry is such a hugely expensive edifice that it is in danger of collapsing the world economy.
Personally, I'm with Professor Lovelock. We should adapt where we can, but otherwise we should just do our best to enjoy what we have.
Meanwhile, js.b1 has it about right.
David Hansen wrote:

If it means eating at home rather than eating out, about a year in our case :-)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:28:39 +0000 Peter Parry wrote :

But the cost of additional panels does not double the installation cost. There probably is an economic rationale for installing solar panels where you have a family house with 4+ occupants and where mains gas is not available. My place (single occupancy, condensing combi) has a roof ideally suited to a solar panel. According to SAP2005 and doubling the notional fuel cost of 1.73p/kWh, a 2m2 panel would save me about 20p.a. Needless to say, it's not on the to-do list.
But nearly every week I talk to people who have come up against the 'Merton Rule' which requires new developments of any size to show that 10% of energy comes from renewables - so solar panels are the usual way round, although on flats it makes little sense to do this. This requirement is imposed by planner, not Building Regs. Spending the money on (say) triple glazing would not be acceptable. And this is not NuLab at work: councils of all persuasions have fallen over themselves to copy Merton.

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:50:39 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

That's exactly the case I was making. You've filled in the numbers. 22 years.
snipped-for-privacy@makewrite.demon.co.uk says...

DIY is the only way to go at the moment.
I had friends in the 60s who had some old radiators in glass boxes on the roof of an extension. Their boiler wasn't on at all from late spring to early autumn, and the system cost very little to run - just the power for a small CH circulator run at its lowest setting, and even that was only on when there was sufficient available heat relative to the tank.
When I last drove by the house it was still there - I guess it's paid for itself in the intervening forty years even if they had to scrounge some more radiators to replace rusted units at some point.
I suspect the only way this will change is if house builders start equipping whole estates at the time of building. The extra cost then would be considerably less than retrofit systems, with the added advantage that several hundred houses with identical systems will mean the local plumbers have some chance to learn what's going on.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.