Soggy joist

I'd been trying to think of how that would work, as it's a 3inch joist already, so I'd need a 5 - 6 inch hanger (if they exist?) plus to go around the bottom it would mean I would have to cut away some of the L&P ceiling. Currently, I'm hoping that the damage isn't too deep so the bearing end is still up to the job. Then I can just let a new piece in or pack the space with something, once I've removed the soft stuff.

Reply to
GMM

Thanks Chris. A comprehensive guide to these issues. Since I know what caused this, I have my fingers crossed that once it has had a chance to dry out, the damage should prove to be minimal, ie option 1. It would be a real pain to have to do extensive work on it but at least the room below is empty and being worked on just now, so it could be worse. Your website must be down as that link wouldn't load for me, but I assume it says something like if you don't pay for it, then it's not your fault(!)

Reply to
GMM

You can get wide ones, although I will admit I had forgotten about the ceiling!

Having said that you could chop away a small bit of the underside of the joist near the wall without disturbing the ceiling attached to it if you needed to make a path for a shoe etc.

Yup, there are plenty of options usually. Slate often makes a good packer (crush resistant and also acts as a DPC).

Reply to
John Rumm

John R You do not need to cut away the ceiling. Prop the joist under with head an d sole plate and wrap head plate in a blanket. That done use a Fein multima ster or similar from above to cut out 10 mm or so of the bottom of the jois t from each side. You will need a metal cutting blade to cut through the cu tnail if there is a wall plate present. If a wall plate is present and dec ayed - cut it out and brick up. If not - dry pack and slate is the answer making sure you put a dpc under the timber wherever you can.

Reply to
rowing

Sorry I did not mean to give the impression that was what I was suggesting...

I meant (as you have more clearly explained here!) that one can cut away part of the joist with the ceiling still in place[1].

I was thinking in terms of being able to get a wall mounting shoe/hanger under the joist end with the ceiling undisturbed, if its decided by the OP that the joist is basically sound apart from the very end that is currently in the wall recess.

Indeed sounds like a good plan.

[1] On one occasion I was able to completely remove a ceiling joist and leave the ceiling mostly untouched simply by chainsawing it into sections and pulling it off the back of the ceiling. (I did end up popping a bit of plaster skim off it in one place by hitting a nail with the chainsaw)
Reply to
John Rumm