Socket set

I presume this isn't their pro version but the style of ratchet in this set is (from experience) prone to jamming:

mike

No, that's not the pro range - it'd say in the item title if t'were.

That's the cheap-chocolate-and-cheese-mix range.

Reply to
Adrian

It's possible to break any socket if enough say sideways pressure is applied.

Halfords Pro range isn't cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Viewed absolutely, it's very inexpensive, but not "cheap" - with all the negative connotations of quality that implies.

Viewed comparitively? Compared to Snap-On? It's dirt cheap. Compared to something like this -

It's superb value and quality. Even at the non-50%-off £40. Compared to the chocolate-vanadium s**te you find in supermarket/petrol station unbranded kits? It's Snap-On...

Reply to
Adrian

Everything is cheap compared to the vastly over priced and over hyped Snap-On.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think I am in shock. I bought my Gedore socket set, with Whitworth and A/F sizes, in about 1961 from a mail order catalogue when I was earning five guineas (£5.25p) per week and at the time they did not seem particularly expensive. I just looked on the Gedore web site and a similar set (only A/F and metric these days) are £452.00. How things have changed. I can vouch for the quality though as thay are still in fully usable condition despite stripping umpteen engines in umpteen cars in that time, sometimes with all the extension rods, T bar etc joined together to give enough leverage for stuck bolts.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Take it back and demand a replacement.

Reply to
bert

Even Brit Tool?

Reply to
bert

Your mention of welding sacrificial spanners interests me. So far, I've only MIG welded nice forgiving mild steel, and a bit of stainless.

I would imagine that quality spanners would have relatively high amounts of carbon and other alloying elements, so might be tricky to weld? Would cheaper softer spanners be more weldable?

Reply to
MrWeld

I've taken a few back (torx and screwdrivers) and had no problems without a receipt - I can't see why there should be as the Halfords name is marked into them. As it happens, I don't have a receipt 'cos the set was a present - okay fair enough, it was one I specifically asked for.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

So a lifetime guarantee lasts as long as the receipt itself? That would be really good if printed using one of those thermal systems that go all black after a short time in heat/light! Maybe an ordinary till receipt really isn't adequate in this sort of situation?

Reply to
polygonum

I bought a 100 piece Halfords socket set for £50, as it was reduced from £100 in 1991. My GF at the time and her Mum called me stupid for wasting my money (I was a poor hard up student at the time)

It was 1/4 drive, 1.2 drive and 3/4 drive and had all the sockets from

4mm to 25mm and 1/4 inch to 1 inch.

Roll on 2013, and I still have it, with no broken sockets. However the original case is long gone, the tray inserts have now relocated to a proper tool chest cabinet.

Regards,

S.

Reply to
Stephen H

It shouldn't, I agree - but the T&Cs on their web site explicitly say they won't honour the warranty without the receipt. Did you take the whole set(s) back or did they just exchange individual items?

IIRC mine was a pressie too.

Reply to
Mark

I suppose the spanners I choose to sacrifice tend to be the no-name ones rather than the quality brands. The welds are not pretty but seem to 'stick' OK and get me out of trouble for a one off job.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Individual items.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

They're not over-priced if you're using them to earn a living. That lifetime guarantee and the certainty of the S-O bloke being around in his van (also the payment scheme) makes them affordable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not really a problem. I've cut and welded various spanners and sockets over the years with whatever mig set was to hand.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You've just given the reasons they have this mystique. They are sold on favourable terms to garage mechanics. Nothing whatsoever to do with quality or value. They simply found a niche market.

I'd suggest you compare Snap on screwdrivers to Wera - then tell me how fabulous their quality is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've only ever broken one S-O 'driver in my life and that was due to owner abuse. Replaced FOC next time I happened to bump into a S-O rep, in another part of the country, hundreds of miles away, no questions asked.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not disputing their warranty for broken tools - but would they have replaced a cross head type that had gone blunt simply through use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)