Soakaways and sepctic tanks

The outlet from the second chamber (the 'liquids' chamber) of my septic tank takes an age to empty into my soakaway, causing obvious problems further upstream if a large quantity of water is suddenly dumped into the system (from an emptied bath for example). It's been like this for years but is getting noticeably worse.
Who/what industry 'body' would I call in to evaluate what needs to be done and, only if absolutely necessary, re-build or install a new soakaway?
Thanks
On 21 May, 21:30, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jamma-plusser) wrote:

mmm can of worms waiting there methinks - local waste contractor/tank emptier would be my first choice? ... "unofficial" as poss to start with... especially now all hell's officialdom is justifying their existence....
PS baths into septic tanks??? should go to shecondary shoakaway shurely?
Cheers JimK
On Fri, 21 May 2010 13:37:42 -0700 (PDT), JimK

Can of worms? Why?

Afraid that you're puzzling me. :-)
What is officialdom doing/not doing?
I'm in Wales if that helps/hinders.

All of my in-house water drainage appears to go into the septic tank, no doubt about it. But now that you mention it I wish it didn't!
jamma-plusser wrote:

Potentially..... Surveying the current arrangement, deeming it not to meet one or another regulation, and then serving a legal notice on you requiring a 20k replacement/upgrade.

amen ;>O yellow pages - local septic tank emptying company (maybe you had them already for a periodic-ahem-yearly tank empty?)
JimK
On Fri, 21 May 2010 14:21:08 -0700 (PDT), JimK

I do empty the tank yearly, even though some say it's not necessary.
So if I want to get the tank, pipework to soakaway and potentially the soakaway itself inspected, who do I ask who will NOT end up reporting me IF there are legal issues?
As far as I'm aware the existing system is 100% legal and above board, but as it was installed before I bought the property I cannot of course be 100% certain. So JUST IN CASE it isn't, I need to know which 'bodies' I should avoid. :-)
jamma-plusser wrote:

The LA and the EA. Both are stuffed full of jobsworths that could not otherwise find gainful employment.

Regulations change. Typically the changes are not retrospective, so whilst what you have may not meet current regulations you would likely not be forced to change. No harm in calling local Building Control. If necessary just do not say who you are or where you live.
--
Michael Chare

Michael Chare wrote:

Its the usual repair versus replace.
I was not allowed to re-use the septic tank on a rebuild - suited me actually - horrid thing.
But repairing an existing one is OK in most cases.
However, if you can afford a Klargester, do so.
On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:01:05 +0100, "Steve Walker"

Ugh - ouch!
So which 'bodies' do I need to AVOID in order to ensure that I don't end up with any exhorbitant costs?
I should say that my soakaway is currently located in the small field adjoining my bungalow - the field is also owned by me.
The field does NOT drain into any waterways, etc.
The septic tank and soakaway were installed by the previous owner, ie some years before I bought the property.
Just out of interest, what is the average cost of installing a soakaway these days? Just one for a two bedroom bungalow.
On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:24:30 GMT, jamma-plusser wrote:

I seriously doubt it would be that much. Presuming your pipes to the soakaway are OK, you'd just need a tank that can be pumped out regularly and the installation cost. I have a feeling it would be £3-4k depending how easy your installation would be. I don't think you could have the new tank dropped into the old hole, so there would be some work needed to excavate a new home for it, nearby.
Though there would be costs to have the tank empried every few months, maybe £150 a time.

yebbut what you describe is a change to a simple cesspit..... if you were going to replace the old septic with a new working septic system (with leach fields etc) then costs would be more as more work....
cheers JimK
pete wrote:

A complete biodisc type tank installed is around 7k max. Just replacing a soakaway will be less than that.
On Sat, 22 May 2010 09:19:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

the
If the EA get involved I don't think you are allowed to fit a simple anerobic tank these days they have to be the aerobic digester type. Somewhat more costly... 20k would be OTT though. Expect some change from 10k.

That's what we had done. Old small bottle tank hoiked out hole made a bit bigger and larger bottle tank plonked in.

months,
A septic tank needs emptying when it's full, which could be quite frequently, a septic tank has no out flow.
An anerobic or aerobic digester does have an out flow and soak away, they need emptying far less often. how often seems to be very open to debate. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

On 22 May,

A septic tank does have an outlet. You're thinking of a cesspool.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
On 22/05/10 20:55, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I heard stories that my grandad, in the last war, used to have to empty one hole in the ground under the outside bog into another hole in the ground with a bucket and rope periodically.
What's the logic there? Was the first one allowing partial digestion and the second one acting as a soakaway? Don't suppose that would be allowed now!
--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

..or cesspit.

A useless piece of techno-crap that no one needs. Great if you like to spend all weekend fumbling in sewage to do repairs.
A two or three chamber septic tank or a very large Klargester onion is all that is needed, particularly if one has a field to use as a soakaway.
I suspect that the OP's system is simply too small, particularly the soakaway and I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has treated a septic tank as if it were town mains drainage and has put lots of cleaning chemicals into it.
On Sat, 22 May 2010 11:29:51 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Not sure they are that unreliable but still not a "passive" system like an anerobic septic tank. How much power does the compressor take, 50W? That's 1.2kWHrs/day or 438kWHrs/year.
How does one of these things react if you get a power cut? I guess a few hours isn't a problem but when a big storm happens people in rural areas can be off the mains for days. Guess where these things tend to be installed...

Or the soakaway is just clogged or blocked up after being in use for many years. If a bath full of water is enough to make the soakway back up, it's no longer working as a soakaway...
Thanks for the word "cesspit" in one of your other posts, I couldn't remember that earlier.
--
Cheers
Dave.

That's a cesspit and it costs more to operate one of those than the charge made for waste water disposal by the local water company. A properly installed septic tank costs nothing to run.
I've had ours pumped out once in twenty years and that was a bad mistake since it took the septic tank two years to recover from the insult.
Properly designed a septic tank pretty much looks after itself if one is careful about what goes into it.