So, what tools would you send?

My eldest son is due to start in September, but we'll not be bothing with a hammer, drill or bits, as he'll be in halls for the first year.

Reply to
Steve Walker

While I have been introducing my eldest son, who is just off to university, to car and home maintenance in recent years, he's been pulling apart, re-assembling and upgrading PCs, replacing faulty parts of hand-held games consoles, etc., by himself, since he was about 9.

His younger brothers (16 and 13) are not nearly so practical.

Reply to
Steve Walker

A cheap multimeter, Large hammer and an angle grinder? grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

How reliable are they at doing things? It makes a big difference!

ISTR I took a mains testing screwdriver, jewellers screwdrivers, a small set of tools and a soldering iron. I used to mend broken car radios and amplifiers on the side. These days I would have a decent multitool too.

The mains tester (neon now deprecated) saved me from a nasty shock - the anglepoise lamp in my first student room had no earth and a live frame!

One of my friends with perfect pitch took a piano key and tuning fork with him. Knowing how to mend or fix things makes you friends quickly.

Reply to
Martin Brown

More than I took to Uni in my first year. a hammer, a pair of pliers, a good knife and two sizes of screwdriver did just about everything I needed. Second year I had built a car out of two others, so that had a much more comprehensive tool kit, so I could carry out roadside repairs when needed.

Reply to
nightjar

Gaffer tape, a few cable ties and a decent penknife will get you a long way.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Tin-opener!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes definitely a volt stick. Instant check for fuse and wire, when something electrical fails.

Reply to
newshound

Ha! That is the same as my Lidl kit (except that the image has been stretched somewhat in one direction).

Reply to
newshound

When was the last time you had something electrical blow a fuse, or have a mains-side wiring fault?

Bearing in mind that a lot of faults are electronic ('laptop won't turn on') rather than electrical, and said offspring probably inhabits a room maintained by somebody else (can't do much about wiring), with cheap off-the-shelf appliances (kettles etc) that are not designed to be serviced.

I don't actually remember the last time I had to fix anything like this, it was that long ago. Although 'plug pulled out of socket where you can't see it' is a more common occurrence.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I was sort of thinking if he (or she) doesn't know what to ask for, would they know how to use them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Needle, thimble and cotton (black and white).

Reply to
Max Demian

Don't know if it counts as tools but I'd add a housewife (and FTAOD wd do so for sons as well as daughters). Plus scissors - large as well as small - if I've not missed them being covered already.

And while not tools, a trailing socket or 2 from your reserves.

Reply to
Robin

I'd managed to go 57 years without hearing a sewing-kit called that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

1, Usually when I decide not to check the fuse first.

2, more often than you might expect, especially for older stuff as found in shared houses, or when wires have been tugged excessively by teenagers.

Voltstick works for that (also the more common just pulled out enough to disconnect)

Reply to
newshound

plus cable ties and duct tape!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yes, although PVC electrical tape is better than duct tape for fixing smaller stuff.

Reply to
newshound

Hammer, 1/4" hex bit screwdriver, with a set of bits including Torx, hex/allen, adjustable spanner in 6" or so, mole grips, pliers, small "household" saw with wood and metal blades, small flashlight, 3-in-one oil/can of spray lube, water pump pliers, pencil, measuring thing (tape, folding rule, ...), pencil, level if small enough, cutter knife.

Then an assortment of nails, steel pins, screws, ... -- a sampling of the detritus or odd&ends box. Tape, cable ties, rag/wipes, half dozen rubber gloves.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I suspect he would not think to ask, but yup basic jobs you can point him at and he can manage.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, it was a term in common usage in my family which I met again in the cadets at school in the 60s. To me it connotes something very much at the smaller and more portable end of the spectrum of sewing kits.

Reply to
Robin