So *nearly* a Victor Meldrew moment

We keep a 2nd fridge and freezer out in the garage, as 'overflow' capacity for the kitchen. Both are plugged in to the same double socket.

A few weeks ago, the fridge suddenly failed totally. I checked everything I could - fuse in the plug was OK; power was obviously OK as the freezer was still working. Bummer. It was reasonably old so decided it had just given up the ghost.

As it happened, I had planned on taking it down to the council tip tomorrow. However... this afternoon I was giving the car a cleanout - something I haven't done in about 2 years - and plugged the hoover into the now-empty socket in the garage. And guess what - the hoover didn't work! One of the twin sockets had simply failed, and of course the fridge was perfectly OK. Knowing my usual luck, it wouldn't normally have been until I'd dumped the old fridge and bought a new one, and finding out that didn't work either, that I'd have sussed. So eat your heart out, Victor.

(Weird failure actually. Presumably it must have been a knackered switchcontact? - but the switch was never used at all, and certainly hadn't been recently. Didn't 'feel' at all dodgy either. After swapping the socket I did (natch) try dismantling the old one for a shufti, but all the bits just dropped out as the cover came off, so no idea!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's a plot ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't believe it.

Reply to
tiscali

some years ago we awaited an engineer to come to do a routine maintenance on a piece of equipment we had at work. He arrived stressed out of his mind 2 hours late. He decided to 'just put up that mirror' before bedtime the previous evening in order to silence his nearest and dearest. Sadly, just as he was drilling the hole all the lights and power in the house fused. He started digging a huge hole in the wall to locate the cable he'd just hit but couldn't see it by candlelight. Following morning - woke up to find all lights on. Power cut!! Phil

Reply to
Phil B

In message , Phil B writes

My neighbour had a vaguely related situation. There was a power cut and a while later while the power was still off he came and asked for my help finding which of his fuses had blown, I told him of the power cut and he said "but your lights are still on!" The wonders of having fitted emergency light units when the house was rewired a few years ago.

Reply to
Bill

A while back Screwfix were selling double sockets for just over a pound a piece. Foolishly I mistook cheapness for good value and fitted them all over my house. I reckon at least half have since failed int he way you describe. All slowly being replaced with Crabtree ones...

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

Whaddyaknow - guess where that particular socket came from! (And funnily enough, I replaced mine with a Crabtree too).

David

Reply to
Lobster