Small bullseye spirit levels?

>(normally it does not matter if the cut is not exactly square since >often the stump will be used for fixing a spigoted newel post into, and >it is getting the hole for the spigot upright that matters more) >

...which reminds me...

My cordless drill doesn't have those handy built-in spirit levels, on top and on the end, that are featured on some models.

It would be easy to let a couple of small level vials into the drill casing, and glue them in with the accuracy required, so it's just a matter of finding suitably small vials - either by cannibalizing something else or buying them as separate 'components'.

A two-quid fence post level will provide three linear vials for the top of the drill (one to smash while getting it out, one to smash while letting it into the drill body, and one that's just right).

But I can't find any source of *small* bullseye levels for the rear end of the drill. The ones in the usual electromechanical component catalogues are too big. Any ideas, please?

Reply to
Ian White

Photographics ones ?:

they're a bit expensive.

john2

Reply to
john2

I have a tripod (Cullmans) for a camera which has just such an item as an optional add-on accessory (10-15mm diameter). I can't find one via a quick google, but suspect that photographic suppliers would be the best area for you to search.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Oh - just seen the john2's reply! Mine is definitely a bull's eye version, not like the Hama one.

David

Reply to
Lobster

idea if you could use the embedded spirit level in this, but maybe worth a look.

Reply to
Grumps

Is it worth it? I doubt the levels on these drills are even accurate and in any case the smallest movement will have the bubble all over the place.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I assume that you're wanting to cater for the situation where you're drilling vertically downwards.

I needed to do that and first of all needed to mark the end of the drill, as though the centre of the shaft had come through and out of the back. There are several ways it could be done, but tried to improvised a way with a plumb bob suspended over my workshop vice. I marked the vice where it touched, clamped a 1/2 round bar into the vice and then ensure that the upper end of the bar was aligned with the plumb bob, but unfortunately the vice couldn't be persuaded to hold the bar exactly vertically.

So I clamped the bar horizontally and used the spot from an IR thermometer to shine along the axis of the rod, closed the drill chuck onto the round bar and marked the other end where the spot touched.

Then I marked the point where I wanted to drill and arranged the plumb line over that spot, with the string passing through a hole in a bit of scrap metal clamped two or three feet above it. It was then a simple matter to raise the plumb bob appropropiately and use it to check that the drill was absolutely level.

Reply to
Roly

Attempt 3 at posting as the previous ones via Tiscali didn't seem to make it.....

Not sure if this has already been suggested but Axminster do a 35mm bullseye level for =A33.

this helps

Cheers

Mark

Reply to