Slugs in the shower

Yes, eugh.

Probably because the recent weather has been so cold, but in the last couple of weeks a couple of times I've discovered a slug asleep clinging to the tiled wall of the shower Since I found the first one I keep the bifold door fully closed, and wear my glasses into the bathroom and check before going in. They still arrive. Where on earth can they be coming from?

I scoop them up with a old loo roll and toss them down the toilet.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Yesterday I found a snail clinging to the curtain in our bedroom. The window next to it had been opened.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I used to get them when I moved into my first house. When I came to redo the bathroom, there was an old hole through the wall from an old bath waste which was not visible on the outside as it emerged below the top of the grass, i.e. just where the snails crawl. Blocked it up with mortar, and never saw one afterwards.

I've been doing some plumbing in the crawl space under the floor of a 1920's house, and there are lots down there. Some of them squeeze through gaps in the floorboards (usually at the edge of a room, and leave trails on the carpet to be found next morning, although the slugs themselves have returned by base by then.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Are you sure he was asleep, and not just frozen with fear at the big pink hairy thing that had just walked into his home.

That's very kind of you, hand relief for slugs, what ever next :)

Reply to
Gazz

No problem.

F Murtz

We don't get slugs but every time I use the bath/shower theres woodlice and spiders in it. Found a huge centipede too the other day.

I think they come up the plughole. I've never actually checked because they don't bother me, but there's a squashed lead pipe on the outside which, I'm guessing, doesn't have a trap under the bath, so they can just crawl up it and get cozy.

Poor dears. You could at least bung em out the window.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

Maybe they live there?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brilliant, it takes all sorts! I loved this bit

Unless they are spiders, that is. "There was a bit of a problem when a large banded huntsman spider I'd introduced to the garden took up residence in a drawer," admits Robinson. "When Lynne went to take out her favourite grey jumper, part of it moved under her hand," he recalls. Her piercing scream persuaded him to put the spider at the farthest part of the garden. "It never returned," he says, "probably because its sound receptors are still ringing."

Reply to
newshound

Well, there is the old trick by farmers who, when catching and killing a fox, would rope the fox up near the entry point. Would slugs take heed of this method?

(sorry)

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Why bother picking it up. Sprinkle it with salt and wash the resulting foam down the plug hole. Or you could try keeping a robin in the batheroom

Reply to
fred

I love the line... 'Pests may get used to chemicals, but they never get used to being eaten.'

Reply to
RayL12

Insects generally fall from tiled or, smooth walls and once in the bath cannot climb the smooth bath surface. Leave a strip of cloth (read, towel) over the bath edge into the bath bottom.

Reply to
RayL12

An *old* loo roll????

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Yes, in traditional Blue Peter manner - the cardboard inner.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I've heard that the Huntsman is the number 1 killer spider in Australia. It's actually harmless, but looks horrible. And it likes to live in cars. So there you are half way down the Pacific Highway when this horrible looking thing crawls out... and your attention is distracted from driving...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

LOL. A funny story when I was working for a local hard-landscaping company. Having worked in bushes cutting back, etc. I was driving the tipper crew-cab back to base with six young college trainees.

As we were moving along the busy road I felt something crawling up my neck on the right side of my face. I didn't let it bother me until this little bush-monster(I don't know, don't ask) began to crawl down my forehead across the bridge of my nose to the left side of my face and under my left eye. My only good eye! I say, good. What I mean is my dominant eye. My right eye can still see lamp-posts so is OK for driving.

Anyway, now the spider is on my left, I can call on one of the lads to take it off my face without turning my head or, taking my eyes off the road. So, I calmly asked the lad sat in the seat next to me, 'NAME, ..take this thing off my face, will yer'. I leaned sideways slightly in his direction.

I did 'not' expect him to scream. The other lads, all in unison shouting each, their own version of 'what's happening'?! Name said, SPIDERRR! and everyone, all of them, started screaming, shouting, get-out! get-out! with f*ck!, f*ck, f*ck, coming from all quarters.

I was doing 30mph with a spider trying to drink from my eye while 6 lads try to crawl over each other to exit and, 2 doors swinging open. Thankfully, the lad behind me wasn't so frightened as to open the offside door and jump out into oncoming traffic.

I did pull over and the situation was calmed. Apart from when I walked towards the lads with spider in hand so I can release it into the grass. In which case 'one or two' wanted me to stamp on it. LOL.

Someone in the traffic did report us to base and I had to go in and explain to my 'superiors' what happened. He had a good laugh with me and he understood why I swerved towards the kerb and came to a sudden stop as 6 lads poured out of the cabin 'Keystone Cops' style.

Good memories. I laughed through writing this and while reliving it, it has taken 35minutes to write. Sorry if a bit off topic.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Slugs are not insects. They do not fall off a wall, and can climb virtually any smooth surface.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Great story! As a kid I was tremendously impressed by a friend's dad who would let a giant weta crawl up his face. We were scared of wetas but he knew it was harmless.

Reply to
Gib Bogle