Slate floor products

On reflection, I realise that any which were too outrageous could be used under your appliances.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Roughly what proportion are too ridiculous to use in the ones you saw? (I realise this is pretty variable in practice). Obviously, I'm desiring a reasonable amount of colour difference, but may wish to avoid lime green, fluorescent yellow and bright pink.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That is wise. The units can be left - just remove plinths - and tile to leg edfes, and trim plinths to the correct height. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, nothing like that! Clearly, what I may or may not like won't necessarily coincide with your taste.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

I probably won't even fit plinths until the floor is in place.

Still, this kitchen is taking some time to do.

I've still got to:

  1. Finish lighting (one luminaire and switch cable)
  2. Install pipework for water softener.
  3. Swap plumbing for w/m and t/d.
  4. Install fan convector
  5. Plasterboard short section of wall
  6. Wet plaster outside of chimney breast
  7. Design/build/attach fire surround + shelf
  8. Plaster chased in cables
  9. Renovate & draftproof windows
  10. Paint.
  11. Cut and fit cornices, pelmets and plinths.
  12. Install worktops (will DEFINITELY get pro for this)
  13. Tile splashbacks + fireplace internals
  14. Lay floor
  15. Install range cooker
  16. Install breakfast bar.
  17. Install open ended wall unit above breakfast bar.

Still, it's looking fairly good already. It's the floor and chimney (bare breeze block) that let down the appearance. Strangely, the current plywood worksurfaces (which replaced the previous cardboard ones) don't look as bad as you'd imagine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sounds good then. I might try to drive up there on Saturday and take a look at their stuff.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You could ask. At the time, they had a centre in Guildford so we went there,

We have the Sheng Li. It fits well with the rest of the kitchen environment - dark granite worktops, tumbled marble wall tiles, oak furniture and joinery.

I would recommend buying a tile or two and taking them home. If you can borrow or buy samples of the other bits you intend to use. Put them together and look at them over a period of a few days. You can reasonably simulate colour enhancer by wetting the tiles lightly.

that was the attraction to me as well. There are quite a few plant and animal fossils and imprints also, so I distributed those in various places.

We had this issue, although in our case it was a staircase that was being replaced at the same time. It was dealt with by tiling in the area involved using a faster setting adhesive that went off in a few hours.

I would definitely tile underneath and go all the way back as well. We selected tiles that were relatively free of bumps to go under the appliances.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't believe so, Neil.

There are variations between batches, obviously, but there was not a substantial green in ours at all. The colours range from mid to dark grey and to oranges and orange browns - pretty much the colours you expect to see associated with iron.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The bigger price variations tend to be with size, especially if you want a good grade.

This was another factor.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can even have a small amount of variation. That also looks in keeping.

Not to mention the effect on the back. This is hard work.