slacken compression fitting to bleed air ... BANG!

The bang was more likely due to the momentum of a now fast moving mass of water banging into the fitting. A friend managed to burst a ballcock valve this way. With water being effectively incompressible, the momentary pressure at the fitting would well exceed the static water pressure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't s'pose you videoed it ? :-)

Reply to
fictitious

Oh dear, there's something wrong with my compression fitting tightening technique then :-(

RobertL

That person is me.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Agreed. A nice, fast hydraulic slide hammer.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Hacksaw. I rest my case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I noticed that you snipped the following, without marking it. "Are you the fool who had that silly thread going about "Push on Fittings" a few years ago?"

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Can I repeat "Unbeliever"s request for an explanation of the difference between tube and pipe? Some of us here are always interested to learn technical esoterica.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Well, a tube is an electronic device that's used to show moving pictures in one's home, and a pipe is what Sherlock Holmes stuck in his mouth. Quite different to the pipe/tube he stuck into Watson.

Reply to
Grumps

Please eff off as you a total idiotic plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He thinks push-fit is fab too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You've certainly got that right for once.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did, so, please eff off as you are a total idiotic plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Tube; OD is the critical dimension 15mm, 22mm copper. Pipe ID is critical 1/2", 1", 25mm, 20mm steel. Old 1/2" imperial copper was pipe, so the OD is nearly the same as

15mm metric copper tube.
Reply to
Onetap

Thought Baz wouldn't come back so roughly:

*PIPE*

Is a tube or hollow cylinder used to convey materials or as a structural component. The terms pipe and tube are almost interchangeable. A pipe is generally specified by the internal diameter (ID) whereas a tube is usually defined by the outside diameter (OD) but may be specified by any combination of dimensions (OD, ID, wall thickness). A tube is often made to custom sizes and may often have more specific sizes and tolerances than pipe. Also, the term tubing can be applied to non-cylindrical shapes (i.e. square tubing). The term tube is more widely used in the United States, whereas pipe is more common elsewhere in the world.

Both pipe and tube imply a level of rigidity and permanence, whereas a hose is usually portable and flexible. Pipe may be specified by standard pipe size designations, such as nominal pipe size (in the United States), or by nominal, outside, or inside diameter and wall thickness. Many industrial and government standards exist for the production of pipe and tubing.

*TUBING*

Is a pipe or hollow cylinder for the conveyance of fluids (liquids or gases). The terms 'pipe' and 'tubing' are almost interchangeable, although minor distinctions exist (generally, "tubing" implies tighter engineering requirements than "pipe"). Both "pipe" and "tube" imply a level of rigidity and permanence, whereas a "hose" is usually portable and flexible. Tubing and pipe may be specified by standard pipe size designations, e.g. Nominal Pipe Size - or by nominal outside or inside diameter and/or wall thickness. The actual dimensions of pipe are usually not the nominal dimensions (i.e., a "1-inch" pipe will not actually measure 1" in either outside or inside diameter) - whereas many types of tubing are specified by actual I.D., O.D., and/or wall thickness. There are many industry and government standards for pipe and tubing.

Please note that this is not my own work (taken from sections of Wikipedia.com to save time) - and just too damned lazy to write one up.

But if Baz still wants to comment or correct - then great.

Disbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

They say we learn something new every day.... I hadn't learn't anything new for about a week but I think this makes up for it in one go.

Thankyou.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk