skimming kerosene off water in an open tank....

ntainers and the levels will be obvious. If there us a large quantity of ke rsone or water then the initial separation will be easy. I cant remember wh ich floats but siphoning off the underlying substance is easy When you get down to the last of it its not worth the hassle imho.

are you suggesting (kerosene) oil & water stay mixed?!?!

define "bulk"?

heh heh course not Jerry

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

well many farmers also store similar quantities of red diesel for their agricultural equipment. When last did yu see a combine harvester filling up at Tescos..?

Its allowed to store more BUT there are restrictions in what you store it in. In case of fire and or leakage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. BUT the regs have changed over the years. New (or replacement) installations of oil tanks have to be bunded but that requirement is not retrospective. Just as well as our tank fails on multiple points from modern regs...

I'm still wondering what modern engine will be happy on kero.

You can use up to 2,500 l of veg oil/year in a road vehicle without having to let HMR&C know. Or at least you could I've not checked recently. If I had a diesel engined motor that would be happy on straight veg oil or a mix veg oil/diesel I'd proably take advantage of that. Even in Tescos veg oil is only just over £1.00/l in 20 l drums.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Look up hygroscopic:

I'd still be wary of feeding a diesel engine kero, it's far more volatile with a lower flash point. Probably get away with a reasonably diluted mix with diesel.

Oh and heating oil is dyed and marked, like red diesel, except the colour is a pale straw yellow. So if you do bung it into a road vehicle you better hope you don't get "dipped".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Since when? We had our tank replaced 2 years and we had to have a bunded one because we are near a "watercourse"(*), but if we hadn't been, we needn't have had a bunded tank.

(* Actually, the disgusting (+) ditch where the output from our septic tank goes.)

(+ Not as disgusting as it used to be, since I planted Norfolk reeds in it.)

Reply to
Huge

dear me no - not true.

so you're at the mercy of the delivery driver?

"road use" again...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

mmm apparently unavoidable in A1 jet kerosene so should be no surprise in other types?

"Dissolved water is invisible to the naked eye, and is considered a constituent of jet fuel that vaporises during combustion "

..."road vehicle"....

I don't think heating oil is dyed either.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Only reasonably sure it's dyed but it is marked. Somewhere in the Hydrocarbon Oil (Marking) Regulations 2002.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"the common fiscal marker turns Kerosene orange (rather than its normal straw colour),"

so is yours orange? mine's not...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The class D (I think it is) is dyed, but it is red diesel and is mostly used in commercial boilers. I've run diesel generators on it with no obvious ill effects.

Domestic fuel is usually kerosene; I don't think it has a road use so there would be no need to dye it.

Reply to
Onetap

Well with red diesel in a diesel engine I wouldn't expect any ill effects. B-) 28 sec kerosene in a 35 sec diesel engine how ever ...

The dye is only to make it obvious when you have drums or jerry cans of white and red available. HMRC dip for the precence of the tracers.

You can probably get away with (as in not damage the engine) using kerosene mixed with diesel in an old diesel but not so sure about modern, highly tuned ones.

There used to be engines that ran on kerosene (paraffin) normally started with petrol to get 'em warm before switching to paraffin. I think they were spark ignition rather than compression but not sure. Use one of those in a road vehicle on the public highway you should have paid road fuel duty on the fuel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

unless of course, you are moving your machinery from one piece of land to another of your pieces of land...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

should

Within limits, 1.5 kilometres if it has no registration plate or maybe on SORN.

ICBA'd to work out the variations...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

...evidently otherwise you;d know more about what you're talking about ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Too short a quote and no reference to the full article to get proper context,

UK Red diesel uses solvent red 24 but *all* rebated oils have an EU marker as well, that uses solvent yellow 124.

Solvent yellow is a bright yellow, certainly not orange. It's also confused by the fact that an acid based test used to detect the precense of the dye gives a red indication...

There are other solvent dyes with orange in the name and they do look orange.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

JFGI? IYCBA

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes, I know, I read it on here years back, probably your posts.

It would probably have a similar effect to putting petrol into a diesel, it doesn't lubricate things and the fuel pump expires. I wouldn't put it in any engine I wasn't content to scrap.

Reply to
Onetap