size SWA to garage 30m away

Mine uses the AC but only on fast charge.

Reply to
harry

That's John's point.

At all times on a motorway you are putting energy in to overcome the (mostly air) drag. There aren't any steep hills, nor any sharp bends that you'd slow down for and get energy back.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

harry is a green, they don't understand anything to do with energy.

Reply to
dennis

And at a constant speed on a motorway, as much use a chocolate fire guard.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, for use when driving as well. They are called Battery Thermal Management Systems. In very cold conditions they need to heat the battery, not cool it.

not one of the better ones then...

Reply to
John Rumm

It doesn't even work on a 50 mph road. About the only time it works is in traffic jams. Even then you are lucky to get a few percent back. You will of course use more through the AC/heating because your journey takes longer than you can get back from any regeneration in those circumstances.

Reply to
dennis

That's why I said not suitable for motorways.

Reply to
harry

Cold like Siberia/USA, not the UK.

Reply to
harry

I see you have not read the link *you* posted earlier then...

Any time you charge or draw current from the battery and its outside a defined temperature range you will get accelerated battery ageing and hence loss of capacity and possibly reduced peek current delivery.

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends where and when in the UK.

Reply to
charles

I read my own car instruction book. The temperatures mentioned are way outside our UK climate

Reply to
harry

Would that be operating limits for the car or for the battery? What model and year is it so we can all look at what it says?

Reply to
dennis

The battery is the problem.

harry

Do you air con the garage as if the car is above 25C it damages the battery? Of course its never above 25C in the UK.

Reply to
dennis