Single brick heat loss quantity?

LOL, their neighbours AND (on a quiet night) their neighbours :D

Reply to
brass monkey

On a similar note - as I have cavity walls on the outside, what do you reckon the inbetween me and my neighbour is? It passes some sounds - VERY loud music, the screaming of a drunk woman in a party, and once in 12 years I heard a washing machine spinning (perhaps unevenly loaded as I've never heard it again).

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Name and address of the drunken woman? Does she go? Know what I mean? Does she go?

Reply to
brass monkey

My previous neighbours were quiet as mice, the present occupants give an almost constant tirade of babies crying, dogs barking, parents arguing, teenagers answering back, hoovers, phones ringing, TVs blaring strictly-come-X-factor, playstations, and most recently, people unable to play guitars in tune.

... yes I need to move.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I suspect it's the kind that comes on a roll, with "now wash your hands" printed on it. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It's from Dundee University. And why should I go to the hassle of researching something if people in here have experience of it themselves?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

One would have thought that having a degree might have meant that you'd have the wit to actually place a hand on the wall and feel the surface temperature. Having a physics degree should have given you a fair idea where the heat was going. A web search for "wall u values" would have saved you a lot of time (and abuse).

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If they're 4.5" thick they're half-brick walls! 9 inch walls are one brick, 13.5 inch would be brick and a half, and so on... Don't ask me why they decided to do the measurement that way, but there it is. There are other similar examples, too - if you look for hinges, they're often sold in pairs, and if you want three hinges on a door you may well find it described as a pair and a half...

Reply to
docholliday

I have never been in their house, only mine. And I got the answer I needed without bothering to search.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

And brought shame upon your university and derision upon yourself.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Suggest how I would put my hand on their wall without breaking the laws of physics?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I'm not suggesting that.

Try solving this one (without asking for help):

My bath takes twice as long as my neighbour's bath to fill but we have the same size baths and the same combi boilers. Seeing you can't acually see my bath I'll tell you that we haven't been able to afford a plug although I'm not sure if that's relevant. I can't work out why it's taking so long!

Notice any similarities?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

single brick and double brick with cavity insulation?

Heat loss through a single brick wall is tremendous.

Fix your line wrap, ffs.

Reply to
grimly4

That's a half brick thickness wall...

Reply to
John Rumm

All I asked was how much brick conducts!!! You wouldn't think a single brick wall would lose THAT much. No, it's not surprising that it's a lot more than a cavity wall with insulation, but for the house to take days to warm up instead of hours suggests it's the heating that's faulty. It's not like the windows are wide open or anything. I'd expect the house to cool faster than mine, but not behave like a tent! The u values I was given don't suggest anything like a factor of 24 difference!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

hrough single brick and double brick with cavity insulation?

Would you say it was more or less significant than a thin roof? I'm thi= nking of another building now - my garage, which is heated for pets. I = have no desire to spend =A31000s on it, as that would be more than the s= aving on heating.

Go spot trains, ffs. It's a line length not the end of the world.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I wouldn't like to lean on it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I have done that before:-)

The neighbours were not amused.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

As I can't be arsed to format your shitty linewrap, I'm not bothering to answer your question. Fuck yourself, slowly.

Reply to
grimly4

Why don't you instead be arsed to use a decent piece of software.

Oh wait. Forte Agent DOES wrap. You've got it switched off.

The O key is involved I believe (I don't use it any more as it's missing several key features, and is very geeky and clunky).

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott