Silica gel

Hi, I have a lot of packs of silica gel which have lost their moisture absorbing properties. Can they be regenerated by heating ? any suggestions as to how ...temperature / time etc. ? I guess it wouldn't be sensible to put them in our gas oven.

Chris

Reply to
Real Ale

Yes, about 100C for a few hours will do it.

Reply to
Grunff

It used to be recommended to put them in a warm oven after it had been turned off, so your gas oven should be ok.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

About 90-100 deg.C for a few hours. Note that some pack materials melt at much above this. You should see a very noticeable colour change, typically from white/pink to deep blue

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Only if it has a water content indicator - pure silica gel is clear/white, and most packets used in packaging have no indicator - it'll be white regardless of moisture content.

Reply to
Grunff

Unless your gas oven uses Zyklon B then it will work fine.

Reply to
Matt

much above this.

From "Howstuffworks" :- Silica gel can adsorb about 40 percent of its weight in moisture and can take the relative humidity in a closed container down to about 40 percent. Once saturated, you can drive the moisture off and reuse silica gel by heating it above 300 degrees F (150 C).

The 150degC figure is what I recall from when I handled it professionally.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

above this.

They dont supply white/pink to blue anymore its carcinogenic the new colouring is dark yellow to light yellow/white. But it still regenterates the same.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I recently baked a load of gel from a variety of sources and it all turned blue

Reply to
Mike Harrison

The good denizens of this newsgroup would no more _buy_ new silica gel than we'd buy new Dexion !

Some Californians are whining, you mean. If cobalt is so terribly nasty, then are we all going to start using lead driers in oil paint again ?

Or "beige to beige" as it's generally known. Like the new 3 phase colour coding, this was a really stupid decision.

All my big silica gel bags (a few cubic feet, because I fill the tool cabinets over winter) have cobalt chloride indicator strips sewn to them. If they didn't when I got them, I made them and sewed them on.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

About 110-120 does the trick. Silica gel does not melt before steel, so don't be too worried, your oven cannot really go over the top. The new colouring is typical knee-jerk legislation. Cobalt is an essential nutrient, somewhere about 10 mg per day is required. It also a component in vitamin B-12. Even if your digestive system could abtract all of the cobalt in silica gel (it cannot even get close), you would have to consume a quite fantastic amount to cause damage. Table salt, on the other hand, needs less than a kilogram to cause death. BAN SALT TODAY!

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Hell, table salt contains cyanide!

(Fbqvhz sreevplnavqr. V'ir orra gelvat gb trg n Hfrarg ehzbhe fgnegrq gung gurer'f plnavqr va fnyg sbe lrnef. Hafhpprffshyl, fb sne.)

Reply to
Huge

I was only trying to be helpful I didnt say I agreed with the new ruling. It has been enforced on us at work.

Sorry for being helpful - my comment has to be better than the continued insults thrown around.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I think that should be mcg.

-- LSR

Reply to
Elessar

sreebplnavqr.

Wbua Fpuzvgg

Reply to
John Schmitt

B*gger. And ta. I CBA to go and look and 'A' level chemistry was a *long* time ago. And iron has too many oxidation states. I'd still like to get the rumour started, though. Like the guy with "crystal homeopathy".

Reply to
Huge

Interesting. The first pages I found were for cattle feed, which I interpolated. Further research indicates this is about the limit where toxicological problems become acute. It appears that the sulphate is used a a foam stabiliser in some beers. Be afraid, be very afraid.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

As it happens they put quite a variety of anticaking agents in salt. I believe that there are still some laboratories (mostly organic - cyanide is useful for sticking an extra carbon onto other basic structures) which have a pair of solutions, which are mixed to give ferrous citrate, which complexes with cyanide accidentally (or deliberately) swallowed. The consensus seems to be that this is more or less futile. Cyanide is not a particularly strong poison somewhere like .5g is the lethal dose, ricin being about 5000 times more potent and botulinum toxin more than 10 million times stronger. Cyanide is, however, fast.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Talking about rumours.

I live very near to Preston, Lancs. I was doing some shoping at Sainsburies (South Rings, just South of Bamber Bridge, opposite our local B&Q shed) and was just packing it into my boot when a middle aged couple drove up behind me and asked for directions to Ikea.

After finding that they had driven from Manchester, up the M61, I pointed out that the only Ikea I knew of was at Warrington.

'Yes, that's the one we want' they said. I pointed them to the M6 and told them to take exit 22 and ask again.

As you all know Buy and Spew are going through a bad patch and I thought it amusing to drop the idea that the super store was going to close and that Ikea were going to open one of their stores. From what I have been told, the site was originally destined to become an Ikea.

My question is...

How do I feed the rumour to the shed? I might add, that I am well known there.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

IKEA are looking for a site in Manchester and have recently been disappointed at Stockport (again). Preston is probably the nearest suitable site. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell