Generator Engine Question - HELP

I bought a generator a year ago. I have not had to use it since. Good hing!!! Anyway, I have taken it out of the box but have never started it or enen put the oil in it. Does it do any damage to the generator just sitting in the garage with no oil, no gas not being used? basically, it is as it came in the box. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Reply to
John W

Think of it as a standard motor. Does it have fuel? Does it have ignition?

What would you do if your lawnmower didn't start?

Reply to
HeyBub

It might be nice to actually KNOW it works before it's 400 below zero and the power goes out.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The manufacturers store it that way in storage for years and so can you. One problem I have seen with engines that just sit is rodents. One more than one occasion mice have moved inside a small motor that was in long term storage. That's the only problem I know of.

However, I agree with that other guy. It would be nice to know it will run in advance of an actual emergency. An additive can be added to the gas if long term storage is expected.

Reply to
Lawrence

I don't see a problem with long-term storage like this, unless it's humid and the rings rust in the bore (the bearings should have been factory-installed with a grease-like lubricant). You can help protect the rings by removing the spark plug and spraying some WD-40 in there every year. Then with the spark plug still out, bump the starter for half a second or give the cord one pull.

But, I'd rather run it and know that it works. I highly recommend the use of Sta-Bil. There are two schools of thought for small engine storage: let it run out of gas, or, keep the tank topped off. The guys who recommend leaving it topped off do it so moisture can't condense in the fuel tank. The guys who recommend running it dry do it so that there's no fuel to evaporate and turn to sludge. Shouldn't really matter much if you use Sta-Bil.

Reply to
tylernt

I started mine up after it sat for 3 months. Blew a big snake skin out the bottom. Guess it was after the rodents, huh?

Reply to
Bob S.

Should be just fine. Might need some oil in the cylinder, though.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He didn't say if it started or not, just asked if it was damaged.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're right. My bad.

Reply to
HeyBub

Get with it, man! This is Usenet! No one apologizes, here! I'll supply some sample text so you can do better.

Incidentally, you're one of the few people who can puctuate that word correctly. Not many pe'ple c'n use an ap'stroph' corr'ctly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You didn't say whether you want to start it up or continue storing it.

If you want to continue storing it, I would put it back in the box and buy some of those Silica Gel Desiccant Storage Packs and put in there too for the moisture. I bought some on eBay awhile back. I also, put a box of fabric softener sheets in, in what might be a feeble attempt to keep away the mice. Mice can be a big problem if they eat the motor windings, etc. I have heard something about generators becoming demagnetized over long periods of time, but I doubt if that's a serious problem.

Once you put oil and gas in the generator, you're permanently married to it. That means that you will have to follow certain proceedures for storage and keeping the gas fresh, etc.

Reply to
mg