Siemens Phone not Displaying Incoming Number

Hi all

I have a Siemens Gigaset 460 with loads of contacts in the contact list. I can select one of these and call straight out of the list no problem. But it has stopped displaying incoming caller ID.

If I substitute another phone, the caller ID works, so the service is clearly still provisioned on the line.

I have looked at menus, but can't find an option to turn on/off the caller ID (in case I have accidentally disabled it).

Anyone got any idea about how to reinstate this, or is it new phone time?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

For a similar problem, on a different phone, I swapped the ADSL flter on the line. This was at the advice of the manufacturer's help desk. It cured the problem.

Reply to
charles

Hi Charles

Thanks but this phone is on a dedicated phone line - no ADSL to filter.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

A quick Google reveals that on both SKY and BT (maybe the network maybe the phone) you should enter * # 234 # to turn it on.

Other suggestions are to take out or renew batteries (if present) and unplug it, wait and plug it in again.

Maybe unplugging it and then trying step 1 might be an idea.

michael adams

michael adams

Oops ! That should be * 234 #

Only one hash.

(* # 234 # is to check whether its on or not)

Reply to
michael adams

Have you tried forcing the base station to 'reboot' by switching the mains power off (wall socket switch or unplugging the DC cord for a few seconds)?

The microprocessor controller can get its knickers in a twist for no apparent reason just as easily as any windows PC. I've cured the odd bout of 'weirdness' with several DECT phone systems I've had over the past decade or so by using this "Switch it off, then switch it back on." technique.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Yes I tried the old "turn it off an on again" (i. e. powering off the base) routine. Thanks Johnny

Reply to
thescullster

Thanks Michael but this phone is connected to Kingston Communications (don't ask) Hull network and I simply get "This service is not available" when dialling the number you have quoted.

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

The only other 'quick fix' left to try, assuming you haven't already done so, is to remove a cell from the handset battery compartment to power off/power on reset it.

I can't really see the point of being able to explicitly disable the caller ID display feature on _any_ phone so equipped so it seems very unlikely that you would find an option for this in the advanced user instructions.

Reply to
Johny B Good

As another phone works in the socket, before ditching the phone the first thing to try might be to check the connection.

ISTR the wire has a connector which goes into a socket inside the phone *, so swapping that out with one from a working phone might be worth a try.

michael adams

  • The one I "repaired" by reseating it about 20 years ago did anyway. Not sure if they're a standard fitment or not.

michael adams

On a shared phone, I can see plenty of reasons why one party might not wish another party to know the caller ID of the person who is calling them, whenever the other party answers the phone.

With caller ID if the "wrong" person answers the phone and they are at all suspicious, then simply replacing the phone or using the wrong number ruse are no longer of any use to the caller.

michael adams

michael adams

There isn't by any chance some way to configure it for the different CLID systems used in different countries, which has somehow been mis-set?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

The OP doesn't say who his phone provider is. I know BT for quite a while developed a different way to sent CLI than anywhere else in the world (something about a polarity reversal just before the ring to signal incoming CLI). Which meant the only phones that would show CLID on a BT line were made by ... BT.

Anyway, as a "possible, if highly unlikely", has the CLID system been messed around with at the exchange ? Especially if the "test" handset is by chance a BT one ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

He does in a follow up message - Kingston Communications

Reply to
Peter Johnson