Shower Tray Base MIx

I will be puting a shower base down in the morning onto an exterior ply 'sledge'. What strength should the sand & Cement be (4:1, 5:1...) and should it be reasonably dry or sloppy so the base settles into it?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Is this advice too late ?

After installing my own IMHO the ratio is neither here nor there. 4:1,

5:1 will do the job, and just ensure that the cement is malleable enough to 'work with'. However, I would say, make sure you place the cement to fill the gaps in reverse side of the shower tray. This would be low and smooth ish in the middle and a highish ridge running around the outside. That will ensure no movement. I believe that's the desired result when installing !

Oh and make sure you clean up the cement from the outside edges once it is in place. This will ensure whatever flooring you choose fits neatly around the shower base. It also means there's no chiseling after it has set to remove it, and the potential mishap in hitting the shower tray itself.

HTHs - Oliver.

Reply to
oli4uk

I am the original poster of this. I have now done the tray. As I need to now install the cubicle etc. How long do I need to leave the mortar before it is set enough for me to stand in the tray. If it helps with calculations the tray is 800mm square and the mortar is approx 1/2" (13mm) thick.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John