Shower heads?

I have a shower head with a small (designed) hole in the "handle". It has become clogged and I would love to replace it but cannot locate it on the web. I bought one of the heads with stones in the handle, they certainly increase the pressure but it gives me difficulty i adjusting the temperature so I would like to return to the "holey" one. can someone please point me in the right direction? TIA

Reply to
Broadback

What sort of shower - mixer, electric, etc?

Any chance of a pic anywhere?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Mixer. photo difficult, sorry.

Reply to
Broadback

Do you mean something like this

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sadly not Owen, but thanks for the reply. There is a small hole about where the handle ends on the one I wish to replace.

Reply to
Broadback

What is the point of the hole?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It seems to increase the pressure at the head. I do not know why, but it does. Also the ones with beads increase the pressure, but how I have no idea.

Reply to
Broadback

I have one with the "beads" they don't increase the pressure (there is no pump inside them). They do however have very small holes in a stainless steel plate, so until these holes clog up they do appear to give a more powerful shower.

In retrospect I believe the beads is some snake oil about water softening. I bought mine at a county show (for less than half the "discount price" shown here) but for those who don't know what I am talking about, this is the first example I found.

Chris B

A venturi in the handle to allow air to be drawn in to the main water flow, thus giving aerated water at the spray head, which flows more freely and gives the illusion of increased flow-rate or pressure? If that's what it's for, then covering the hole would appear to reduce the flow-rate / pressure.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Is it an air mixing shower head?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If the original shower head is clogged with limescale then a long soak in descaler should return it to full working order.

Reply to
Pamela

I have no dea what you are talking about, but I can say as a trained engineer and installter of many showers so far you are making less sense than Diane Abbot on O level maths

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Venturi effect to add air to the water stream????

alan_m

A range of shower heads that introduce air at

alan_m

Black magic. No other (logical) explanation.

Stones or holes can?t magically increase pressure. I could well believe that the spray head may have different size holes that increase the water velocity (but lower overall flow). This is a common feature in ?water saving? shower heads.

Eg.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think that the key is in the use of 'seems'

I have a shower that has the highest flow rate of any (22mm pipe), through a massive shower head with huge holes that is like standing in a tropical downpour

I get more perceived veloocity out of smaller shower heads with smaller holes.

What others have piinted out is that sucking air into the head seems to make for a half air half water mix which is subjectively higher velocity with finer droplets that will of course cool down quickly and be less hot.

Presumably they exist to make electric showers seem almost fit for purpose.

Or for people on water meters

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The heads I've seen today as a result of this question suggest not suitable for electric showers. Perhaps because some of them draw in air by first restricting the flow through a small orifice make them unsuitable for direct heat electric showers that may require an unrestricted outlet for safety. Perhaps a restricted outlet causes the electric showers' safety valve to pop when the latent heat in the element cannot be dissipated enough to the water on switch off???

Reply to
alan_m

So why not unclog it?

Reply to
Rob Morley

That would be my fist instinct. Any liquid limescale remover would probably make short work of it.

Reply to
alan_m