Shovelling cut grass

What implement have you find is the best for shifting large piles of cut grass?

Currently I use a large snow shovel, which is ok if its very fresh and loose, and you have a reasonably firm base to scoop off. However the moment it starts to compost it becomes difficult to "get under" in and lift a whole scope at a time. I was wondering if a long handled pitch fork would be a better choice?

(mainly for moving it a few yards from where the mower can drop it, into a bigger compost pile in the corner)

Reply to
John Rumm

I find one of those multi-tined forks, as used for mucking out horses, very good for exactly this purpose. AKA shavings fork. A quick scrape around with a lawn rake afterwards and it's all gone. Summat like this perhaps:

All the best, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Ah, had not heard of those, sounds like it could be ideal.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've always used a grass rake.

Fredxxx

'Big Hands' garden scoops:

Chris Hogg

I use an old muck fork as well.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yup me too. A gloved hand and a rake.

Reply to
mogga

mogga scribbled...

10% off divorces !

Making money out of misery

Reply to
Jabba

What you want is what in Ireland is called a Grape. It is similar in appear ance to a garden digging fork except the tines are thin, round and pointed instead of flat. The head also tends to be bigger and the handle longer and thicker. They may be called Manure forks in your neck of the wood

Reply to
fred

I use the *chaff* fork left over from thrashing drum days. Wheat or Oats used to produce huge piles which was saved for mixing with horse feed. Tines as above but roughly 3 times the size of a manure fork.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , John Rumm writes

A bit of hardboard in each hand, sized to suit your strength.

Not shovelling I grant you but having tried a few methods of moving leaves I've always come back to the old favourite of bits of hardboard used as hand wideners (grippy side in). It'll shift a ton bag size pile in no time and no worries about the last few bits moving away from the shovel, you just scrape the sides into a pile again and pinch it up.

Reply to
fred

Yup I have used the technique for leaves etc, but it does not really suit the layout in this case since I would have to get into the middle of the pile myself to be in the right position to shift it back into the corner. Something with a longish handle will work since I can scoop and then "throw" it either from the front of the pile or the side of it.

Reply to
John Rumm

wife

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I have found sprogs can be quite effective, but they are getting savvy enough now to expect payment ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Bit late to this party (been away), but: Bang on!

I have a Bulldog Muck Fork, aka a Compost Fork: mine is like this:

I've had it about a dozen years, and it's been one of my Top Ten Tools since the day I bought it. It's infinitely better than a garden fork for the job.

John

Reply to
Another John