should I give in and claim a PPI refund ?

Should I be claiming PPI ? I have been rebuffing the emails and phone calls for years.

It appears that one might be entitled to interest on the money one should not have paid. I am not aware of having bought PPI, so I would possibly use a company to do the digging. I have not had many loans, did not buy a house until about 12 years ago. So, Previous Mortgage company (Brisol and West ?) Current Mortage (Nationwide), A small car loan about 25 years ago, A new car bought half on peugeot finance, paid off about 8 years ago. Credit cards for years, always paid off monthly, A small endowment policy expired years ago (probably no records) Thats about it !

How can anyone prove whether you were missold or not ? You just say that you were ?

Are all claims firms no win no fee - can you ever end up owing them if they do not find anything ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Richard

This is what concerns me:

"... should check NOW if they were flogged PPI". There seems to be the assumption that it was always missold. What it someone agreed to it ? They claim they were to thick / inexperienced etc. to understand what it was and then they get a refund ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well, if you didn't fully understand what you were being sold then I guess that you can claim that it was missold. No harm in giving it a shot I guess.

Reply to
Richard

The industry is being given a smacking because this was widely sold with a scary lie, that you could be liable for large sums of money in the event of someone else's fraud.

I did have one of the packages at one time, although I was aware of the existing protection, because it gave other stuff, for example replacement of lost house and car keys including locksmith services.

I never claimed on it and was happy to take the refund, but I didn't use a third party claims firm because the parent company 'fessed up and made the whole process easy (if somewhat protracted).

Reply to
newshound

Ring one of the PPI outfits and they will do all the work on your behalf. They will need the names of the lenders, the dates they will *not* need. If they think that you do not have a case they will just say goodbye, it will cost you nothing. If they think that you have a case they will go for it. If they lose, it will cost you nothing. If they win, their commission on the amount won is 25% plus VAT. Or so I understand. I know one person who was very unsure of whether he had taken out the PPI, he filled in a very online letter and sent it to his bank. If you want the letter, I have a copy. Just ask. He received by post a very easy form to fill in. He could not remember the dates or amounts and simply entered - "refer to your systems". A week later he got a phone call from the bank asking simple questions. This was from a "very nice guy" who was probably an investigator...... fair enough. The investigator believed the claimant, who was then offered over ?3k. He took it. If you have had multiple lenders, you can do it yourself or bit the bullet with the commision fees. Your call.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

What you describe is not PPI.

Richard

sm_jamieson scribbled

The majority of the banks have departments dealing with PPI. Google your lender + ppi and you'll find them.

Reply to
Jonno

ISTR there were various bundled packages, but certainly *one* of the things which the banks were rightly criticised for was telling people they needed to insure against credit card fraud when there is already protection giving a £50 limit on notification.

Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , sm_jamieson escribió:

What the f*ck has this got to do with DIY? Can't you f*ck off and ask in a more appropriate group, you lazy prick?

It's bad enough dealing with the phone calls and spam texts without some muppet bringing it up in a group where it's way off-topic.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Who knows?

I'd be a little worried about identity theft handing over my personal details to "haveIgotPPI" or similar ambulance chasing organisations.

Interestingly many of them are employing the same sharks who sold this crap to consumers now working as poacher turned gamekeeper.

That is a pretty good working assumption. It was almost always sold to benefit the salesman's bonus and never for the benefit of customers.

There are all sorts of companies that will search it out and do it for you but it is pretty trivial to make a claim once you establish that someone was missold PPI. And almost everyone *was* missold it!

Reply to
Martin Brown

On 24 Aug 2015, Mike Tomlinson grunted:

Considering the number of OT topics which regularly appear in this group, other than the fact that the OP (who is a regular and long-standing contributor on matters d-i-y) failed to preface his post with "OT", I don't see why he deserves that diatribe.

Reply to
Lobster

I'd not bother myself, what makes you think the calls will stop if you claim? You will just get on another mugs list. I had one of those automated ones today and rather than put the phone down, I hit 5, and a young lady answered, and I had not got the words TPS out when shesaid, so stick it up your Arse I suppose, laughed and put the phone down.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff
[50 lines snipped]

Apparently, even the approximately 30% of claims which are from people who are trying to reclaim PPI they were never sold in the first place.

Reply to
Huge

I get 1 or 2 on an average day.

I don;t pick it up.

I'm worried about hitting any number in case I get connected to a premium service.

If you had of 'stuck it up your arse' could you have claimed via one of those if it's not your fault accident claims ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thanks ! I did forget to put OT in the subject, 'tis true. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I have read they are easily claimed DIY. Does that make it on topic?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Indeed. I will never ever do this.

Only if you visit my favorite nightclub - Ramrods. Are you the big guy with the beard?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I suppose so. Apparently a good DIY starting point is to access your credit history from Experian (?), which should remind you of all the credit you h ave had and forgotten about.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Unfortunately, I noticed when Barclaycard suddenly subscribed me to it and told them to remove it instantly. If I hadn't done that, the interest payments due to me now would exceed what I got by sticking the money in a savings account instead over the same period.

So those of us sensible enough to turn it down at the time are now paying for all those people who bought it naively. That doesn't sound right to me!

Having said that, PPI is probably one of the most significant factors which has pulled us out of recession. It has taken much of the QE money given to the banks, and transferred it back into the hands of people who, for the most part, have in the past had loans, and therefore tend to buy things.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel