Shingles

I had the shingles jab last autumn. The recent ad on TV mentions one of the lesser symptoms of shingles, is suggested to be a feeling of being stabbed in your back.

Prior to having the jab, and for a few years, I would sometimes get a minor pain in the skin surface of my back, as if someone was jabbing me with a pin. Since having the shingles jab, the incidents diminished completely. I am left wondering if the feeling might have been a warning of the onset of shingles, forestalled by the jab.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

In message <tghuim$23kft$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes

I thought this was a post about roof-tiles.

I've a mate who told me the vaccine actually gave him recurring Shingles plus Postherpetic Neuralgia scrambing his nervous system. That then lead him to get Type 2 Diabetes.

Of course he could just be a hypochondriac.

Brian

Reply to
brian

If you had chickenpox early in life as I did, the virus - herpes simplex - stays dormant in your spine and sometimes pops out and stabs you in the back - it did to me until I had the jab.

Reply to
The Other John

I always know if I have a cold coming on, the dormant shingles activates the hair roots on my head and makes it sore to touch.

Reply to
jon

More likely down to his gluttony for the wrong sort of food and drink, combined with an inability to use his legs to get anywhere within a couple of miles or so.

Reply to
Andrew

How frequently and at what ages? I had chickenpox when I was about 3 or

4 (I don't remember it); then shingles aged 12; nothing since. My GPs keep badgering me to have the jab. I think I'll wait until I'm nearly 80 as that is the latest they will do it. (I suppose they reckon octogenarians are too feeble to stand the jab.) Probably the same with the pneumococcus jab. I prefer only to have treatment when I'm actually ill - though I have had all the covid ones - my fourth is due next Friday.
Reply to
Max Demian

Err, no. It pops out anywhere. I got it on my lower tummy right under where the trouser belt pressed and a line of pus filled blemishes appeared.

Gently running my finger across them gave the sensation of being stabbed while firm pressure had no effect.

The worst place to get it (if you are elderly) is anywhere on your scalp.

Reply to
Andrew

No one has wooden roof-tiles here.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've seen them as roofing and cladding. And I doubt the likes of Marley would sell them if they weren't still used. Uncommon - and I suspect rather expensive if you also want them fitted well - but can look good.

Reply to
Robin

No, because it doesnt work very well for those.

No.

Makes more sense to avoid becoming ill..

Reply to
Rod Speed

I had chickenpox when I was 12 but didn't get shingles stabbing till after

50 or so. It seemed to occur during times of stress such as when my mother died and later when my brother died. I had the jab when I was 79 during my prostate cancer treatment. The nurse who was torturing me with abdominal hormone implants talked me into it.
Reply to
The Other John

Generally, like the original disease, most people only get shingles once, though I do know one person who had it twice.

Reply to
Joe

I had it aged 81 on my face and scalp. I must say from my experience I thought the whole thing a distinct let down. A slight itch, lots of horrid looking sores, alleviated by using a cooling liquid, tablets prescribed by the G.P, it was done and dusted in about seven to ten days. I remember my mother having it and suffering quite badlly with it many years ago. So much so that when I was prescribed with it I felt a real sense of dread. In reality, a sense of discomfort that was soon gone. I did wonder where all the fear and trepidation for this disease came from. I had it really easy. Peter

Reply to
Peter James

From that vague symptom it could be almost anything. I understood that Shingles is normally one sided, as the virus hides in the nervous system on one side. There is the rash, and then the pain. I've not had it but many say it can vary from mildly annoying to incapacitating depending on where it is located. What I could never understand is why it stayed in the system for years and what triggers its awakening. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You were fortunate. I assume you were treated by antiviral tablets after early diagnosis, which can help a lot. My wife's shingles first appeared as what appeared to be an insect bite over an eyebrow, and diagnosis was missed at a local A&E, who thought it might be a bacterial infection. It spread up and down following the course of the ophthalmic nerve. She was very lucky it didn't spread into her eye with far worse ramifications than on the skin anywhere. And just because you didn't get much pain doesn't mean that everyone else has the same experience, either with the immediate effects or with PHN.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I always felt the 'stabbing pins' on the left side of my back.

Never had a rash, other than a weird patch of what seemed to be hard skin, which appeared in various parts of my bodies softer skin.

I read something along the lines of it reappears when you are older, because your immune system deteriorates as you age.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Correction - herpes *zoster*. I'm surprised no-one spotted that! :(

Reply to
The Other John

I used to have....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's my general policy to help the NHS. Avoid illness and injury. Oh, and I donate blood every three months or so. I'm on the organ donation register, but I don't carry the card as it is too flimsy. Anyway, by default all our organs belong the the Government by default with the opt-out measures I think.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, that's oral/genital herpes, not chicken pox/shingles. Someone spotted it.

Reply to
Rob Morley