Shelving on a block wall

I want to put up loads of 'Spur' shelving on a garage wall made of soft block. What would be the best fixing type to use?

mark

Reply to
mark

mark wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 11:20

I used Fischer frame fixings in soft block (the ones that have a lot of teeth).

These:

Universal - choose your length as required).

Even then they had a slight tendency to turn in the hole if you tried undoing them. Smear of Alradite stopped that.

They were incredibly secure - just drill your hole carefully with an HSS drill (not a masonry bit) and use the exact drill size that the box says.

You'll need a torx bit IIRC for these.

Reply to
Tim W

IME ordinary plugs are fine if your holes are the right size

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I spent a while testing various plugs for this a few years ago. I can't remember the exact plug I ended up using, but the most important thing was to set the plug deeper than you would in brick, so the top was about half an inch below the surface, which prevents the surface breaking up as the plug expands.. Choice of plug was dictated by needing to be one that didn't have a significant lip, so it could be set deep enough.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I made small wooden blocks to fill in the space in the uprights channel and drilled through so on initially tightening the screws, the plug doesn't leave the wall. Got them well tight. The house would fall down first.

Ye could drill a bit bigger, or hammer 'em, to locate the whole plug into the wall material so that when initally tightened it stays within, but that's risking some that spin (hole now too big) and then faffing about with packing materials. I hate that.

Reply to
Adrian C