Sh1t Pit Inspection chamber in the house Replacement

Hi All, Job number 671 has reached the front of the queue. The main bathroom. It was gutted 7 or so years ago and is now on the hit list.

First slight problem is, in our downstairs hall-way (built on a hill so one side is underground) which is the bedrooms and main bathroom there is an inspection chamber "collector" fed from the upstairs dirty water, a clay pipe from one end of the downstairs bathroom and a poo pipe from the other side of the bathroom.

The inspection chamber "top" is a double lipped frame packed with grease into which the single lip of the heavy chamber lid nestles and is then fixed down by 3 (originally 4 but one is sheared off) large brass screws.

Having such a lovely beast in the hall between bedrooms I'd prefer to replace it with something more "modern" that doesn't rely on loads of grease to make a gas/excrement/fluid seal but still needs to be mechanically locked in place should the outlet become blocked and s*1t backs up flooding the hall.

Current steel lump is 600mm by about 740mm (whatever the imperial size would have been)

Any suggestions of should I just grease it back up and forget all about it.. ?

Cheers Pete

Reply to
0345.86.86.888

Am I alone in thinking that air, being thinner, would be less likely to leak through than water, or is it more complicated than that?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:orcku7$sg6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I guess it depended if it was a private or Water Board Chamber.

Reply to
DerbyBorn