Sewer pipes breathing twice ?

From the manhole of the victorian sewer I have one pipe going up the outside of the house, with a branch from the upstairs toilet, then up to the top where it breathes.

But there's another pipe going up about five feet to a grill. This smells. But what's the point of it if the sewer can breathe through the pipe at the roof?

Can I block it with cement?

Or could there be a reason for it?

George

Reply to
George Miles

Put an air admittance valve on it.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Were perhaps the toilets or toilet retrofitted, IE the breathing at the low level is very much older than the new one? Are we sure they are on the same sewer? If it is, personally, I'd put a bung in it, but there you go! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1 I had similar and just cut it off below ground level, bunged it up and laid the patio over it. There's a nearby external inspection cover for the sewer, and a drain gulley, so if the sewer ever gets blocked any overflow will come out there rather than find it's way into the house.
Reply to
Davidm