Sewer

My sewer pipe connects to the main sewer in the next road to mine via a neighbours garden. It looks like originally all the sewers in my street of 100 year old houses connected to mine before finally going through my neighbours garden. As far as I know the other sewers are no longer connected to mine and my neighbour has a separate sewer, so it is debatable whether this can be classed as 'pre 1937' shared sewer.

Apparently this has caused some issues in the past when the sewer became blocked and I would rather not have this passing over my neighbours property if it is not the council's responsibility.

At some point I am considering repaving the side entrance to my house as the path has subsided a bit. It occured to me that this might be the ideal opportunity to lay a new sewer and get it connected via my own property.

My side path is about 25metres long and there are 4 steps and a coal shoot to contend with, so replacement won't be a small job. Can the group advise:-

Will I have to pay the council to dig up the road to do this new connection. If I can prove that the original connection was their responsibility, then this might be in their interest, but I can imagine I will have a bit of a battle on my hands.

What are the likely costs? Any other things I should consider?

Thanks Tim

Reply to
deckertim

A few q's...

Is the new path expensive? Will you get a digger in to do the path? Would the new sewer connect under the new path?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

If you can get a digger in its cheep, I would guess one day would sort it, but say 2 for the buinding regs type faffing.

The cost comes from the connection into the main, I guess you need to give them a call.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper