Servicing a very old gas boiler - still done?

I've been asked about getting a very old gas boiler serviced. I think it is from the 1970s when the house was built. It certainly looks very much like the one we found when we moved into a house in 1984.
For our old boiler a service was basically lifting out the very large burners (about the size and shape of a loaf of bread with holes in the top) and wire brushing them.
Run a vac around the area to clean out any dust and stuff and Robert is your relative of choice.
The only problem we had was fine dust blocking up the pilot light jet (remove, clean, replace) and the occasional thermocouple. Amazingly simple bit of kit.
I think we had it done professionally (safety check) about every 5 years and it just kept on working.
I would fettle it between the formal checks.
I'm now looking back about 15 years, so I have no idea if this is still the case. Is there a risk that the boiler could be condemned just because it is old? If so, February is probably not the best time to have it serviced.
Cheers
Dave R

We used to have one of those until about a decade ago - a big Potterton cast iron lump.
First (90s) BG refused to cover it under their service contract. Then they refused ad-hoc servicing as 'we'll never get parts for that'. We went somewhere else, and it kept on working.
I'd find a good independent to service it - less likely than BG to condemn it because they can't be bothered. But if anything breaks be prepared to have trouble getting parts - unlike a contemporary Morris Minor there isn't the aftermarket, unless you have someone who can machine a new one from scratch.
Theo
On 12/02/2020 18:39, Theo wrote:

Go for a small local independent Gas Safe technician. My mother's boiler is around 25+ years old and still working OK. She gets an annual service done by a local family firm who have given the warning that it may not be repairable if it goes wrong.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 18:25:28 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

Regulations have changed; one that catches people in flats is that flues have to be visible their whole length for inspection.
Owain
Hmm, I don't think so normally. If you just want to keep it going and you have the sensors to protect the rest of the people in there, then do it, but the way things are going such things might be too expensive to run soon in any case. Brian
--
----- --
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 18:25:28 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wro te:

?
Also need to check the heat exchanger for soot buildup & flame colour, and that the flame pattern is ok. And that the thermocouple cutout works. Flue gases would also be checked and the gas power input, and the flue condition & suitable termination. If not room sealed, and 1970s ones weren't, it wou ld be condemned in a rented property for that. You can look up how many peo ple boilers killed a year back when that was the norm, I forget the numbers . Each generation older killed more per year.

I had a big old Potterson cast iron thing, in the house already when we moved in, 1976. Looked after it much the same way as yous your've described. 2009 decided to update modern condensing boiler (Worcester Bosch Greenstar). Our annual gas consumption went down by over 30%. Good enough reason on it's own to update from the old one I would have thought. Mind you, I don't expect that WB boiler to last as long as the old Potterton one did - that's just progress for you!!
On 12/02/2020 18:25, David wrote:

A good maxim is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - particularly in February.
I'm reluctantly accepting that my 30-year-old Baxi Solo is going to have to be replaced soon because some parts - particularly things like baffles - are no longer available. I'm doing my best to nurse it along at least until the weather is a bit warmer. I've had to clean out the pilot assembly today because the high winds has blown some crud into it. I'm pretty sure that BG would condemn it, so I'm not going to let them get anywhere near it. I suspect that an independent might also condemn it.
--
Cheers,
Roger